This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
Youth Ministry, FT Employee
Diocese of Yakima (Yakima, WA)
Position closes: July 31, 2014
For instructions on how to apply, pleasevisit the link to Applitrack:
All applicants for positions of leadership in a Parish of the Diocese of Yakima, must be a practicing Catholic in good standing.
This is a full-time position responsible for the Parish Youth Ministry Program. The Youth Minister will be responsible for the planning, development and provision of resources, faith formation and activities for high school and middle school youth throughout the year in te following areas: community, catechisis, service, leadership, evangelization, prayer and worship. The Youth Minister will operate in a collaborative environment which requires a high level of communication skills, competency and performance.
1. We are seeking a candidate who has the passion to bring Christ to Catholic youth and encourage them in the development of a life-long relationship with Christ and his Holy Catholic Church.
2. The candidate must have a solid and accurate understanding of theology, scripture and moral Catholic teachings.
3. The candidate must a be an active Roman Catholic who will model and passionately encourage our youth in Catholic gospel living and Catholic identity.
4. The successful Candidate will be a dynamic and energetic person who is a team player and and an effective communicator with both students and parents.
POSITION FOCUS AND TASKS
The focus of this position will be the development of the Parish Youth Ministry Program.
1. Responsible for dynamic high school Youth Nights: Sunday evenings following the 5:00pm Mass. Youth Nights would include a variety engaging techniques: speakers, music, videos, small group discussions, games, skits etc.
2. Planning and participation in a two year Confirmation preparation program;
including a yearly Confirmation I Retreat and a Confirmation II Retreat.
3. Liturgical understanding and youth participation in Sunday Liturgies.
4. Yearly High School Youth Retreat.
5. Involvement in Diocesan youth events and engagement in high school activities and events.
6. Develop an understanding of Christian service and provide service opportunities and involvement.
1. Plan and implement faith formation and catechesis of Middle School Youth (6th-8th grades) Wednesday evenings.
2. Facilitate yearly Middle School Retreat on site.
3. Provide additional middle school engaging activities including service opportunities.
The following are essential duties associated with the tasks required in the position of Youth Minister:
1. Participate in staff meetings, planning, review and development.
2. Lead and contribute to appropriate ministry area support teams within the parish.
3. Develop and execute strategies for comprehensive youth ministry and young adult leadership training in the Parish.
4. Facilitate preparation and coordination of all parish events/programs, including
committees created to help organize such events/programs.
5. Facilitate the Parish Youth Team
6. Assist in the coordination of formational opportunities for directors of
youth/young adult ministry.
7. Convene or attend appropriate diocesan and local meetings of youth and young
adult ministry leadership.
8. Collaborate with other diocesan agencies in advocacy of the vision of
comprehensive youth ministry and young adult ministry.
9. Participate in national and regional youth ministry associations.
10. Engage in budget oversight, review and planning.
11. Develop content for office formation media, including the parish bulletin and
12. Attend to marketing efforts in related ministry areas.
13. Other duties as assigned.
1. Proficiency with information technology; must be able to type and have word processing capability.
2. Excellent communications skills including written, verbal, and public speaking and presentation skills; Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance.
3. Must have excellent leadership, human relations, and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter, be well-organized, and must be a team player.
4. Travel and weekend and evening work may be required.
5. The ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check.
NON – PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Bachelor’s Degree. A degree in Pastoral Ministry, Theology or related field is preferred.
2. Have a solid praxis in the Roman Catholic theological tradition.
1. A minimum of two to five years of Catholic parish ministerial experience.
2. Computer knowledge and skills are necessary in Word, Access, Excel and Publisher.
3. Competent and very professional with the use of social media.
III Special Skills:
1. Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
2. Ability to work effectively with people of various ages, background and cultures; sensitive to cultural differences.
3. Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
4. Detail oriented and able to handle multi-task responsibilities in strict monthly timelines.
5. Able to maintain a positive, team-oriented work attitude.
6. Able to cooperatively work with other office staff.
7. Skills in program design and organization, needs assessment, problem- solving and evaluation, communication, budgeting and administration.
8. Valid driver’s license, clean driving record.
This position normally requires the physical demands of standing, walking, bending, stooping, kneeling, or crawling, lifting or performing other work requiring low physical exertion, talking, and hearing on a regular basis to perform the job requirements. These physical demands are required up to 90% of the time.
The normal work schedule is 7 hours per day 5 days per week with exact schedules determined by the Pastor and Parish needs. It is the attendance standard of the Diocese of Yakima for all employees to be present and on time each work period that they are scheduled to work. Full or partial absence during any scheduled work period, arriving late, or leaving early, for whatever reason, may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Time off may be approved if allowed by applicable policies covering illness, injury, or other personal emergency.
THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IS INTENDED TO PROVIDE AN OVERVIEW OF THE REQUIREMENT OF THE POSITION AS SUCH. IT IS NOT NECESSARILY ALL INCLUSIVE, AND THE POSITION MAY REQUIRE OTHER ESSENTIAL AND / OR NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, TASKS, DUTIES, OR RESPONSIBILITIES NOT LISTED HEREIN. THE DIOCESE OF YAKIMA RESERVES THE SOLE RIGHT TO ADD, MODIFY, OR EXCLUDE ANY ESSENTIAL OR NON-ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENT AT ANY TIME WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION, NOT BY THE COMPLETION OF THE REQUIREMENT OF THE POSITION BY THE EMPLOYEE, IS INTENDED TO CREATE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT OF ANY TYPE. EMPLOYMENT IS “AT WILL” AND MAY BE TERMINATED AT ANY TIME BY THE EMPLOYEE OR THE DIOCESE OF YAKIMA WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE.
The Diocese of Yakima is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, sex, color, place of national origin, age, or disability in otherwise qualified individuals as defined by EEOC regulations ( 1630.2(m) and (n) and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)). This is subject to the recognition that there are certain positions within the Diocese in which membership and active participation in the Catholic Church are required and / or desirable in order to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. (140)
Incoming search terms:
- Catholic Diocese of Yakima WA
- roman catholic youth programs
- young adult programs in yakima wa