This is a syndicated post from Aggie Catholics. [Read the original article...]
Q – Why do Cardinals have “Cardinal” in between the first and last names, as if it were a middle name?
A - Thanks for the question.
The reason is a simple one. Their first name is considered their “Christian” name, given at birth. As a sign of humility, Cardinals keep this name first to show their first allegiance is to Christ. So, it is common to see “Timothy Cardinal Dolan”.
So, it is a human honor and below that of being a son of Christ.
The title of Cardinal is an ecclesiastical title (from the Church). “Cardinal Timothy Dolan”. (169)
Incoming search terms:
- first name cardinal last name why?
- why is cardinal in the middle of the name
- why is cardinal between the first and last name
- why is cardinal a middle name
- why do you address a cardinal with his first name then cardinal
- why do cardinals put the title in their name
- why do cardinals have cardinal as their middle name
- WHy are catholic cardinals called by their first name
- Why are cardinals called Cardinal as a middle name
- title of cardinals