Update on priests turned away after Boston Marathon bombing

This is a syndicated post from The Curt Jester. [Read the original article...]

An update to a story I previously blogged on.

BOSTON – Two priests turned away from entering the scene of the bombing at the Boston Marathon, April 15, said they understand the actions of the police in the heat of the moment.

After two bombs exploded near the finish line, leaving three people dead and wounding more than 260 others, the priests rushed toward the scene from St. Clement Eucharistic Shrine on Boylston Street, just over a half mile from the marathon finish line.

Father Tom Carzon, OMV, director of seminarians for the Oblates of the Virgin Mary, reached out to The Pilot after he saw media coverage surrounding their experience.

“The twist that this story has taken in some places just doesn’t reflect my experience on that day at all,” he said.

Father Carzon said he felt that media reports portraying a conflict between priests and police as a general reality in Boston mischaracterized the situation, and said he understood the police turning people back, including clergy, in light of potential danger closer to the finish line.

When I first posted the story regarding this I had the caveat “if true”, glad to find out it wasn’t.

Full Story

(3318)

Jeffrey Miller (582 Posts)


You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Hide me
Sign up below to have the hottest Catholic news delivered to your email daily!
Enter your email address:
Show me