Most freshman who are entering college were born in 1995 – the year I graduated college and got married!
Every year college students stay in the same age-range and I just keep getting older.
Below are a few of my favorites from the annual “mindset List for the Class of 2017″ from Beloit College‘s Tom McBride and Ron Nief:
The Mindset List for the Class of 2017
1. Eminem and LL Cool J could show up at parents’ weekend.
2. They are the sharing generation, having shown tendencies to share everything, including possessions, no matter how personal.
3. GM means food that is Genetically Modified.
4. As they started to crawl, so did the news across the bottom of the television screen.
5. “Dude” has never had a negative tone.
6. As their parents held them as infants, they may have wondered whether it was the baby or Windows 95 that had them more excited.
7. As kids they may well have seen Chicken Run but probably never got chicken pox.
8. Having a chat has seldom involved talking.
9. Gaga has never been baby talk.
10. They could always get rid of their outdated toys on eBay.
11. They have known only two presidents.
14. Rites of passage have more to do with having their own cell phone and Skype accounts than with getting a driver’s license and car.
16. A tablet is no longer something you take in the morning.
24. Courts have always been ordering computer network wiretaps.
26. Jurassic Park has always had rides and snack bars, not free-range triceratops and velociraptors.
28. With GPS, they have never needed directions to get someplace, just an address.
29. Java has never been just a cup of coffee.
31. Olympic fever has always erupted every two years.
33. In their first 18 years, they have watched the rise and fall of Tiger Woods and Alex Rodriquez.
36. The U.S. has always imposed economic sanctions against Iran.
40. They have never attended a concert in a smoke-filled arena.
41. As they slept safely in their cribs, the Oklahoma City bomber and the Unabomber were doing their deadly work.
42. There has never been a national maximum speed on U.S. highways.
44. Their favorite feature films have always been largely, if not totally, computer generated.
45. They have never really needed to go to their friend’s house so they could study together.
48. Kevin Bacon has always maintained six degrees of separation in the cinematic universe.
52. They have always been able to plug into USB ports
54. Washington, D.C., tour buses have never been able to drive in front of the White House.
57. Their parents’ car CD player is soooooo ancient and embarrassing.
58. New York’s Times Square has always had a splash of the Magic Kingdom in it. For the entire list click here.
Anybody else feeling old? (0)
Incoming search terms:
- getting rid of java
- the class of 2017 their world