This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
Accounting/Finance, FT Employee
Aquinas College (Nashville, TN)
JOB DESCRIPTION – Office of the Controller
TITLE: Staff Accountant – Aquinas
REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager, Controller
MISSION: To operate the Accounts Payable desk for Aquinas College and The Dominican Campus and support the operations of Student Financial Services in the most effective and efficient way possible, so that payables and receivables are processed accurately and in a timely manner. To perform responsibilities and assignments in a manner consistent with the Mission and Philosophy of Aquinas College.
Aquinas Students, Staff and Faculty
1. Receives and processes invoices, statements, and check requests.
2. Verifies invoices and statements against purchase orders.
3. Enters data in the MIP accounting system to generate checks and post the resulting transactions. Enter credits and reversing entries as needed.
4. Reconciles and enter credit card statements in the MIP accounting system.
5. Maintains a filing system for invoices, purchase orders, check requests and other reports.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
The Staff Accountant supports Student Financial Services by assisting in the following responsibilities
1. Responds to and resolve student requests, questions and complaints while providing the highest level of service. This frequently requires analysis of each situation to determine the best course of action. This may involve written or telephone communication between the student, our office, financial aid, and in special circumstances the VP for Administration.
2. Maintains accounting records reflecting amounts due and paid to students’ accounts including tuition, financial aid, book charges and payment plan fees.
3. Receives funds for deposit from various sources and prepare, code, and post deposits. These include student agencies, other departments, donations, etc.
4. Creates and maintains current accurate student files beginning with the opening of registration for each term.
5. Authorizes students as being official for their enrollment each term and to communicate with individual students, faculty and staff regarding this status.
6. Creates, distributes, and collects student bills.
7. Communicates with the offices of financial aid and registrar regarding aid eligibility and tuition refund status as affects students’ account balances.
8. Provides important deadline and payment information via the student portal.
9. Sends late notices, and collection notices and track delinquencies as provided by Allison until balances are satisfied or transferred to collection proceedings provided by a third party.
10. Enters donations into MIP
11. Reconciles credit card fees monthly.
12. Maintains filing systems for storing student financial records, funds received,
13. and copies of computer generated reports.
14. Maintains calendar and Desk Manual.
15. Performs other duties as assigned
1. Invoices and check requests are paid accurately and on time.
2. Tuition is billed and collected on time. Outstanding items are resolved in a
timely manner. Other daily work is completed on time.
3. Records (manual and electronic) are accurate and up-to-date.
4. Professional, friendly, courteous; and has a good relationship with customers
(staff, faculty, and students).
5. A team player, pitching in whenever and wherever needed.
6. Looks for ideas to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the job and the
7. Has a goal of 100% accuracy.
10 key calculator
CAMS accounting software (accounts receivable)
CashNet online payment/refund suite
Word and Excel
MIP Accounting – Vendor Maintenance
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
Organizes daily work and sets priorities to schedule and process work. Determines codes and descriptions to allocate Accounts Payable payment transactions to appropriate departments. Determines codes and descriptions to allocate Accounts Receivable transactions to appropriate student, and G/L.
JOB ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
College degree with some accounting work, or equivalent experience in a similar position.
REQUIREMENTS TO BE CONSIDERED FULLY QUALIFIED TO PERFORM THE JOB:
Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and ability to perform all duties and responsibilities of the job to the satisfaction of the Accounting Manager and the Controller.
Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and ability to perform duties and responsibilities in an effective and timely manner with minimal errors as determined by the Accounting Manager and the Controller.
Annual audit by CPA.
Internal audit controls and review of procedures. A periodic review by the Accounting Manager and/or Controller to assure that standard procedures are being followed as stated in the job calendar and Desk Manual, and that both are up-to-date as to revised procedures.
Review to be administered by Controller based on their opinion, the opinion of the Accounting Manager, and the opinion of selected customers as determined by random survey
Performance of job mission and responsibilities
Results of Quality Control procedures
Results of surveys (243)