This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
Accounting/Finance, FT Employee
Archdiocese of Seattle (Seattle, WA)
The Accounting Office of the Archdiocese of Seattle has an opening for a full-time Senior Accountant. This opening is to fill a newly created position due to restructuring.
The Archbishop is the visible principle and foundation of unity in the particular Church entrusted to him. In a unique and visible way, he makes Christ’s mission present and enduring as Shepherd of the Christian Community. In order to fulfill his mission, the Archbishop employs suitable, chosen collaborators (clerics, religious, or lay people). He shares with them the apostolic mission and entrusts various responsibilities to them. (Directory on the Pastoral Ministry of Bishops, 198)
Each position employed in the Chancery helps to extend the ministry of the Archbishop in particular ways as outlined in the position description.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE:
This position works with the Controller to develop office goals and objectives, including internal control policies; handles financial and tax reporting for the Chancery office, including its charitable gift annuity program; performs all accounting functions of the Office for Youth and Young Adult Evangelization (OYYAE); maintains the accounting software; provides fixed asset oversight, and other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL POSITION DUTIES:
1. Under the direction of the Controller, participates with office staff and other Chancery staff in planning, implementing and evaluating the department’s programs and services. Serves as a professional resource to staff in the area of internal controls, general accounting processes, and backup support to general ledger and accounts receivable accountants, maintains internal control policies and procedures and ensures compliance with accounting record retention requirements.
2. Direct or perform financial reporting functions, including monthly budget status reports, quarterly insurance reports, annual public report, and annual audited financial statements. Provide oversight of the fixed asset and plant fund records of the chancery.
3. Manage the consolidated annual audit process for CCAS. Develops and prepares lead sheets & schedules. Coordinates information for auditors.
4. Assure all tax reporting is timely and accurate, including payroll, state, and corporate tax returns. Resolves tax questions and consults with tax advisors as necessary.
5. Perform all accounting and reporting functions for the charitable gift annuity program including monthly reconciliations, journal entries, monthly management reports, and annual reporting to state regulatory agency.
6. Act as assistant controller for the OYYAE. Perform all aspects of fixed asset and plant fund accounting and reporting. Prepare budgets and financial reports, complete accounts receivable billing, and oversee camping ministry systems to ensure accuracy of financial data. Work with and support the OYYAE operational team in fundraising efforts and system and electronic software processes. Ensure proper internal controls are in place.
7. Manage the operation of the computerized accounting software and report query functionality. Maintain access database for restricted & designated funds. Develops and maintains documentation of desk procedures for areas of responsibility. Troubleshoots procedural and software problems. Trains staff in best use of systems.
8. Other duties as assigned by the Controller.
a. Willingness and ability to support the mission of the Church by extending the ministry of the Archbishop.
b. Ability and desire to use God-given gifts and talents in service of the local Church in support of the collaboration between lay and ordained Ministers.
a. CPA highly preferred, or 10 years progressively responsible accounting experience.
b. BS or BA in Accounting or related field.
a. Five plus years experience in the accounting field (non-profit preferred).
b. Proficiency with computers, especially Microsoft Office.
c. Familiarity with computerized accounting systems (Navision preferred).
d. Experience with financial report writing programs.
4. Other Elements:
a. Excellent oral and written communication, analytical, and organizational skills.
b. Ability to work in a team environment.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply for this job, please visit our website at www.seattlearchdiocese.org/jobs. We require all applicants to submit our standard application and a cover letter. Resumes alone will not be accepted. (180)
Incoming search terms:
- archdioceses of seatthel
- catholic annuitiesarchdioseseofseatle