This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
Other, FT Employee
Assumption College (Worcester, MA)
BASIC PURPOSE: The Resident Director provides leadership in a manner that complements the mission of Assumption College and as a team member of the Student Affairs Division. The Resident Director must be dedicated to building a dynamic, nourishing, and enriching hall community that fosters Christian values consistent with the ideals and educational mission of a Catholic college. As a member of the Residential Life Staff, the Resident Director is responsible for administering a variety of operational, educational, counseling, and disciplinary intervention components that are designed to foster personal and spiritual development and a sense of community within the Residence Hall.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
1. Supervises, assists and evaluates a staff of five-ten Resident Assistants and 1 Head Resident Assistant.
2. Meets every other week with the Assistant Director of Residential Life and monthly with the Associate Director of Residential Life.
3. Work under the direction of the Director, Associate and Assistant Director of Residential Life and in collaboration with Campus Ministry and the Assumptionists to incorporate a culture of prayer and reflection among students.
4. Attends weekly Residential Life staff meetings on Monday afternoons
5. Attends scheduled in-service meetings of the entire Residence Hall Staff.
6. Participates in the training sessions conducted prior to the Resident Assistant Fall and Winter Training.
7. Assists in the selection process of Resident Assistants for the following year.
8. Coordinates and advises a Residence Hall Council for their living area.
9. Work with the Resident Assistant Staff and Residence Hall Council in programming for the residential area.
10. Notices behavior changes and indications of personal difficulties among residents.
11. Responds objectively and fairly to residence hall/area issues.
12. Shares responsibility for creating and maintaining an atmosphere conducive to study.
13. Monitors and processes room change forms, maintenance request forms, reports damages and suggests residence hall/area improvement.
14. Supervises monthly Health and Safety Inspections and corresponding paperwork.
15. Supervises vacation and year-end residence openings and closings.
16. Remains available during assigned duty periods as well as major weekends and campus events.
17. Maintains office hours in the central office, as well as within his/her living area, to be accessible for his/her residents.
18. Coordinates one office project, (i.e., RA Selection, Staff Development for RA’s/RD’s, Vacation Housing, Social Media and RA programming Budget).
19. Be available in the central office for 4 hours daily (10:00am-3:00pm) during the academic year, along with 2 hours of building/area time.
20. Attends programs and socials on campus in an effort to build community relations with students and staff.
21. Set reasonable limits on participation in outside activities. The Resident Director may not accept additional employment or full-time status as a student, without permission of the Director of Residential Life.
22. Follow up weekly with students who have gone through the conduct process to guide them back into a positive relationship with the community.
23. Other Duties as assigned
* 10 month live in professional staff position.
* This position is renewable for two years based on performance. A third year is possible at the discretion of the college.
* Board plan during College session.
* Standard Administrative Benefits including four weeks vacation, health program, Assumption College course remission, Retirement options, etc.
* Resident Directors are a separate category under the tuition remission policy. They are allowed up to two graduate courses or their equivalent per semester for any semester in which they are scheduled to work. The hiring departments verify their eligibility and the forms are processed in Human Resources. There is no tuition remission for study-abroad courses or study tours. Remission over $5,250 is considered taxable income and is imputed on the employee’s W-2 at the end of the calendar year.
* Must be willing to contribute actively to the mission of the College as well as show respect for the Catholic and Assumptionist identity of Assumption College.
* Candidates must demonstrate an understanding of Catholic teaching and articulate how those teachings help inform the moral and ethical development of students.
* Experience with a variety of computer programs and systems.
* This position requires a Bachelor’s degree.
* The Resident Director is responsible for the overall supervision of a designated residential area. The Resident Director works to create an environment conducive to academic excellence and the development of responsible, meaningful patterns of group living. Assumption College regards residential living as a valuable and co-equal part of the educational process.
* The Resident Director usually finds that this position imposes certain limitations upon him/her. Because he/she must be available to students for informal counseling as well as emergency situations, the Residence Staff member finds that he/she must adopt an “open door” policy and expect frequent interruptions of his/her own activities. The nature of the job requires him/her to plan personal and social activities around his/her job commitments.
* Given that the Resident Director is highly regarded as a role model, he/she is expected to maintain exemplary standards of personal conduct and discretion in his/her behavior.
* The Resident Director is expected to schedule his/her time effectively in order to discharge his/her responsibilities. Some arbitrary time obligations are outlined below:
o Be prepared to remain on campus during vacations that occur during the contract period (with the exception of Christmas Day). Residence Staff coverage must be provided at those times for students who cannot travel to their homes.
o Sets reasonable limits on participation in outside activities. The Resident Director may not accept additional employment or full-time status as a student, without permission of the Associate Dean of Campus Life/Director of Residential Life.
o Completes contract unless written notice is given with a minimum of two weeks notice.
ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEE: This position is designated as an Essential Employee. Essential Employees are those who are expected to be on duty to operate the College and provide for the safety and well-being of our students when normal operations are suspended e.g. when classes are cancelled or delayed and when non-essential employees are released from work.
Staffing of essential support services may be at reduced levels, determined by the Administrator, dependent on the needs of our students. No compensatory time, additional wages or premium wages will be paid under these circumstances since the suspended hours are scheduled hours and part of each employee’s regular duties.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Sitting, standing, walking, and bending are required of this position. Use of a computer keyboard and computer screen for periods of time with close vision and the ability to adjust visual focus plus manual dexterity are required. Some lifting is required.
MENTAL DEMANDS: The mental demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Examples of mental demands include reading (documents), detailed work, confidentiality, language, math, reasoning, oral communications, written communications, customer contact, multiple concurrent tasks, constant interruptions, and performing calculations when necessary.
Apply on line only:www.assumption.edu/hr (134)