This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
Education: Middle/High School, FT Employee
Saint Martin de Porres High School (Cleveland, OH)
POSITION OPENING: Principal
REPORTS TO: President
MISSION STATEMENT: We are Christ’s enterprise dedicated to transforming urban Cleveland one student at a time.
OUR VISION: We are committed to the values: Work, Study, Serve, Lead, Pray.
• An innovative college preparatory curriculum rooted in the development of habits of mind and spirit
• A unique partnership with the business community reflected in our Corporate Work Study Program
• A caring, Catholic community
ORGANIZATION: Saint Martin de Porres High School is a member of the national Cristo Rey Network (www.cristoreynetwork.org), an association of 25 Catholic high schools serving 7,500 students in 21 states. Each school follows a model in which students work to pay for their secondary education, gaining professional experience. The schools have a core mission of preparing student of modest economic means to enter and graduate college.
OUR STUDENTS: Saint Martin de Porres High School serves 433 students, 81% of whom are African American, 7% of whom are Latino, 6% of whom are Caucasian, and 4% of whom are multi-racial. 65% of our student population is female. Notably, while we are a Catholic school, deeply rooted in the traditions of Catholic education, 70% of our students are non-Catholic.
Saint Martin de Porres High School aims to provide a high-quality, college-preparatory education to students of modest economic means. The average family income of a student at Saint Martin de Porres High School is $26,000 and 82% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
Our students come to us from over 80 public, charter, independent, and faith-based junior high schools. Consequently, our students represent a wide spectrum of academic preparation.
In each of our five graduating classes 100% of the students have been admitted to a college or university. Of these graduating seniors, 80% directly enroll in college on average. Saint Martin de Porres Alumni attend 43 colleges and universities through the country.
CORPORATE WORK STUDY PROGRAM: The work-study program gives students an authentic experience of working in Cleveland area businesses, teaches them the expectations of the corporate world, affords young people an opportunity to add value to the places where they work, and provides a way for urban youth to finance the majority of the cost of their private, Catholic college preparatory education. Each student from 9th grade through 12th grade works five full days per month from September through June. Over a 183-day school year, students have 143 days of academic classes and 40 days of work. A staff of seven people directs the program, supports supervisors who work with our students at more than 140 companies in Northeast Ohio, and ensures that each student is doing real work at each placement. Beginning in early August, incoming 9th grade students attend a summer training program taught by our teachers that prepares them for their academic and work experiences. Saint Martin de Porres generates 50% of its operating funds from the Corporate Work Study Program.
THE POSITION: Reporting to the President of the school, Rich Clark, the Principal is the chief academic officer and instructional leader of Saint Martin de Porres High School responsible for student learning through a well-developed curriculum executed by a trained and coached faculty. The Principal provides mission leadership for faculty and students, assures the orderly running of the school, and directs the day-to-day operations of the school’s academic, religious athletic and extracurricular life. The Principal is a member of the school’s Management Team, actively collaborating with the Vice-President of the Corporate Work Study Program, Vice President for Advancement, and the Finance Director. He or she oversees a faculty and staff of over 50 people and manages the majority of the school’s operating budget.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: The Principal will
• Ensure that all students are being challenged in an academically rigorous setting
• Direct the development and the revision of curriculum
• Responsible for the supervision and evaluation of all faculty and school staff, including teachers, the Assistant Principal for Student Success, the Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction, the Director of Admissions, the Counseling Staff, the Director of Campus Ministry, the Athletic Director, College Counselors, and all other academic and student life personnel
• In collaboration with all staff, oversee the school’s relationship with families, ensuring that they become partners with the school in supporting the academic and personal success of their students
• Develop and execute an effective faculty professional development program including regular faculty meetings
• Identify program needs and present an academic budget to the school President each year
• Oversee all work associated with maintaining accreditation with the Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Association (OCSAA)
• Maintain the relationship with the Cristo Rey Network national office on academic matters
• Approve and supervise all school expenditures within the budget authorizations
• Work closely with the Vice-President of Corporate Work Study to ensure the success of all students.
• Is an active member of the schools Management Team
• Assist teachers, parents and faculty in interpreting and understanding student achievement data
• Regularly attend and participate in Diocesan and Cristo Rey Network principal meetings and workshops
• Report regularly on student academic progress to parents, faculty, and the Board of Trustees
• Assume other duties as assigned by the school President
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE: Candidates for Principal must have the following qualifications and experience:
• Master’s degree
• Proven commitment and capacity to serve and connect on a personal level with students of modest means in the city of Cleveland.
• Demonstrated commitment to Catholic, faith-based education.
• Demonstrated ability to connect with and engage urban families
• At least three years of experience supervising and evaluating faculty and staff
• Demonstrated ability to inspire, lead and work collegially with faculty and staff
• Strong background in secondary curriculum
• Demonstrated success as an instructional leader who created a positive environment for continuous school improvement
• Evidence of an ability to analyze and utilize data to effect school improvement
• Demonstrated knowledge and competency in research and programs that seek to bring innovative, best practices to high school education
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exemplary interpersonal skills with faculty, staff, parents, students and community members
• Grit and mental strength
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES: The person who becomes the Principal of Saint Martin de Porres High School must have a demonstrated interest in Catholic, faith-based education and be a strong instructional leader. The Principal must possess exceptional leadership and management skills to guide faculty and staff, challenge students to high levels of achievement, and engage families. The focus of the job is on achieving results that are aligned with the mission of preparing urban young people to enter and graduate from college. Initiative, coupled with a decisiveness drive and the ability to stay focused on results despite changing conditions, is critical to the Principal’s success at our school. The work involves innovation, creativity and an ability to manage a variety of activities and situations. A leadership style that is firm and goal oriented, yet motivates, coaches and engages others in an enthusiastic way is important. The emphasis on building rapport and relationships with students, faculty, staff, parents and community members requires a clear, poised and persuasive communication style. Because the pace of the school is faster than a traditional private or public school, the ability to learn quickly and thoroughly while continually recognizing and adapting to changing conditions is critical. The emphasis is on results and effective systems. An ability to delegate effectively is critical to the principal’s success. The successful candidate is a strong, clear communicator who can effectively convey decisions and rationale to stakeholders. As a member of the school’s management team, the Principal must be able work collaboratively with the President and other administrators to oversee the school, manage its finances, and set Saint Martin de Porres High School’s strategic direction.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: The Principal must have a passion and commitment for providing excellent, Catholic education to economically disadvantaged young people and must be respectful of the Church’s values, faith and mission. A successful candidate is called to be part of the unique Cristo Rey mission, recognizes the educational value of the work-study program, believes that our students can achieve at the highest level and is committed to strengthening our school’s academic programs. The Principal will hold himself or herself accountable for student achievement, is a lifelong learner, is diligent about staying current in research on secondary education, and strives for continuous improvement. The Principal sets high standards and is a person of exceptional commitment whose personal and professional reputation is beyond reproach.
Interested candidates may send their resume and cover letter to Anne Holko at [email protected] Those candidates who qualify for further consideration will be asked to provide additional information, which will be requested at a future date (170)