PASTORAL ASSISTANT FOR JUNIOR HIGH YOUTH MINISTRY
Youth Ministry, FT Employee
Holy Family Catholic Church (Kirkland, WA)
Holy Family is seeking a Pastoral Assistant who will serve our parish as the Junior High Youth Minister and Parish Service Project Coordinator.
Ideally, the successful candidate will begin work no later than the end of April, 2014. Minimum requirements for this position include a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, and experience in parish life and ministry. This is a full-time position with salary and benefits.
Purpose of this Ministry
The Pastoral Assistant for Junior High Youth Ministry and Parish Service Project Coordinator assists our parish in providing comprehensive ministry to our middle school students. This individual serves as a spiritual leader to our young people and empowers them to become engaged in the parish community. By calling upon and channeling the gifts and talents of parishioners, the youth minister fosters deeper relationships with Jesus Christ and lifelong commitments to the Church. This position would also coordinate parish service projects for the youth and adult parishioners.
Reports to: Pastoral Assistant for Faith Formation
Collaborates with: Pastoral Assistant for Senior High and the Pastoral Assistant for Young Adult and Evangelization, parish staff members, Pastoral Councils, ministry leaders, volunteers and the parish communities.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Presents the Catholic faith to parish youth, drawing on a number of spiritual, theological and educational curriculum resources, and encourages their growth through the study of and participation in scripture, prayer, fellowship and service.
2. Provides continuous evaluation of junior high youth programs, making adjustments and recommendations as needed to meet the dynamic need of a growing Church.
3. Is responsible for the recruitment, training, formation and supervision of volunteer leaders for their specific ministries and provides encouragement, support and ongoing discernment in their ministry with students. Facilitates the personal faith growth of the volunteers that enhances them as a small Christian community.
4. Initiates contact with both parish and school students in order to build relationships wherein the gospel message can be communicated through words and actions. Relational time with students may include activities such as spending time in the Youth Center, attending extracurricular events, etc. Also maintains appropriate regular communication that keeps parents informed of youth ministry issues and events.
5. Identifies, plans and promotes service opportunities for parishioners from elementary through adult age groups and evaluates the success of events and uses that information to improve and grow the programs. Initiates contact with various populations within the parish to determine how to most effectively plan service projects for them.
6. Provides for development and maintenance of current, accurate and confidential recordkeeping systems as needed. Provides for regular communication with youth and parents regarding upcoming events, important issues, etc.
7. Participates in general and staff meetings on a regular basis including occasional retreats, training and socials. Collaborates as appropriate in regional or deanery planning and program efforts.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Manifest a deep faith in Jesus Christ that is exemplified in the practice of the Roman Catholic faith, and moral character adhering to the values of the Gospel.
2. Experience in youth ministry under the model of Renewing the Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
3. Understands principles of psychology and sociology pertaining to adolescence and family development.
4. Openness and availability to work evenings and weekends, as well as some major feasts of the Church, such as Triduum.
5. Bachelor’s Degree in theology or other related field or equivalent experience.
6. Ongoing personal and professional development is required and is competency based.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Intuitively incorporates sound Roman Catholic principles when teaching and interacting with parishioners. Familiar with the vision of Pope Francis as articulated in The Joy of the Gospel, as well as the “new evangelization” of Blessed John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI.
2. Proven abilities in pastoral leadership, demonstrated through the ability to listen; call people to prayer, and lead them in prayer; effectively lead meetings; establish and align goals, and engage others in the enactment of a vision; identify talents and delegate.
3. Strong organizational skills, including event planning and time management.
4. Respects personal boundaries and maintains confidentiality.
5. Embraces technology and social media as tools for ministry. Is proficient with Facebook, Twitter and Microsoft Office software (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Excel and Access).
About the Employer
Holy Family is a Roman Catholic parish in Kirkland, Washington (0)
Incoming search terms:
- catholic pastoral assistants