This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
PARISH SECRETARY-ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Clerical/Administrative, FT Employee
Cathedral of St. Thomas More (Arlington, VA)
The parish secretary/administrative assistant reports to and works closely with the pastor to ensure the efficient and effective working of a small but busy parish office. The qualified person should be committed to the priorities and values of the Catholic Church, and envision the position as a ministry that serves this community of faith.
• Provides a welcoming phone and door presence.
• Creates a weekly parish bulletin through Word and Publisher.
• Types pastorally related material for the pastor.
• Assists parishioners with various requests, including reservation of Masses and Sacramental records.
• Maintains parishioner databases, records financial contributions and mails end-of-year tax statements.
• Maintains parish office files.
• Co-ordinates with diocesan office and parish groups to reserve space for meetings and events.
• Maintains an up-to-date calendar of the celebration of masses and sacraments,
• Completes information forms related to Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals and other pastoral matters.
• Orders office supplies as needed.
• Provides updated information for the parish website.
• Responds to other related duties as assigned by the pastor.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The position requires an 8 hour day, forty hours per week with occasional evening or weekend responsibilities a few times per year. Most work activities are conducted within an office setting, complete with standard height chair, desk, and appropriate lighting. Occasional driving to shop for supplies or to assist at offsite events will be needed.
The person holding this position has sufficient stamina and physical abilities for:
• Sitting at the computer to complete word processing and graphic design tasks;
• Standing and or walking to package, mail, photocopy, and or fax material; and make occasional trips to adjacent church and school;
• Lifting packages or boxes not in excess of 30 lbs.;
• Seeing and hearing to attend to written and oral work.
Practicing Catholic, committed to the teachings of the Church
Proficient computer skills
Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher 2010) to include (but not limited to the following tasks):
• Ability to complete mail merges, data entry and record keeping, including use of formulas and formatting in Microsoft Excel
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word to format documents to create letters, flyers, Funeral Programs, Lector Sheets, etc.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook for email, contact lists, etc.
Experience with Parish Database Systems (PDS) a plus
Excellent organizational and planning skills
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently
Must be reliable, punctual and courteous
Education & Experience Requirements:
• Undergraduate degree preferred
• Minimum 5 years of business/Office experience
• Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus, but not required
Note: This job description seeks to provide clarity and focus to the general role of the Secretary/Administrative Assistant. It is not intended as – nor can it be – an all-inclusive list of every task that may emerge during the course of work, nor is it a static document. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All parish personnel must be prepared to shift focus as the needs of the parish and ministry change.
Please send resume and salary requirements to:
Rev. Robert J. Rippy
3901 Cathedral Lane
Arlington, Va 22203
Or via email to [email protected] or fax 703-528-5760
Deadline for Submission is February 28, 2013. (3832)
Incoming search terms:
- catholic bulletin administrative assistant
- catholic churches arlington va
- administrative assistant st thomas on
- st thomas cathedral arlington va
- setting up microsoft outlook 2010 with att email
- Parish Secretary- St Thomas More Catholic Church
- parish secretary job description arlington diocese
- Parish Secretary job description
- parish secretary
- parish employee benefit package arlington va