PARISH FINANCIAL SERVICES ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
Accounting/Finance, FT Employee
Archdiocese of Seattle (Seattle, WA)
The Parish Financial Services Office of the Archdiocese of Seattle has an opening for a full-time Parish Financial Services Assistant Director. This opening is to fill a vacant position.
The Archbishop is the visible principle and foundation of unity in the particular Church entrusted to him. In a unique and visible way, he makes Christ’s mission present and enduring as Shepherd of the Christian Community. In order to fulfill his mission, the Archbishop employs suitable, chosen collaborators (clerics, religious, or lay people). He shares with them the apostolic mission and entrusts various responsibilities to them. (Directory on the Pastoral Ministry of Bishops, 198)
Each position employed in the Chancery helps to extend the ministry of the Archbishop in particular ways as outlined in the position description.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE:
The Assistant Director works with the Director of Parish Financial Services in addressing Parish financial issues including financial reviews, accounting software and accounting procedures. The Assistant Director’s primary responsibilities are management of the Archdiocese’s formal Parish Financial Operations Review program and management of the system for parish assessments. Secondary responsibilities include implementation of Archdiocesan financial and accounting policies as well as consultation with pastors and parish staff on matters relating to fiscal management, financial policies and accounting procedures.
ESSENTIAL POSITION DUTIES:
1. Participates with the director and other team members in implementing the mission of the department. This includes planning, implementing, and evaluating the department’s programs and services. Serves as a professional resource to the staff in the area of accounting and parish financial management. Collaborates, as delegated and as appropriate, with other Chancery departments, as well as Archdiocesan entities in the area of accounting and parish financial management.
2. Manages the Parish Financial operations review program. Recruits and trains selected independent CPAs and accountants to conduct the reviews, schedules reviews and prepares final reports to be sent to the pastor. As needed, conducts and supervises selected parish reviews. Convenes and staffs the Parish Accounting Advisory Committee to monitor and update the review program.
3. Manages the system for parish assessments and sets assessment rates by designing the annual report and applying a pre-determined formula to data received. Trains pastors and parish staff in the accurate completion of the report in a timely manner. Receives, analyzes and programs data, and evaluates information. Investigates and evaluates any reports that are not in compliance or appear irregular, and takes additional and/or corrective action.
4. Assists the Director of PFS in investigating concerns about an individual parish’s financial operations.
5. Assures the development, implementation, and maintenance of the Parish Accounting System and Chart of Accounts. This is accomplished by developing and promulgating an Accounting manual for parishes which includes specific accounting reporting procedures, and training parish accountants and bookkeepers in its use. Assists the Director and Advisory Committee in researching appropriate accounting software for maintain parish records in accordance with FASB and Archdiocesan recommendations. Provides education and training of staff to utilize this software.
6. Provides Accounting Management Services and acts as consultant to pastors and other parish personnel. This is accomplished by maintaining open communication, responding objectively to requests and providing specialized training, information or services as necessary.
7. Assists the Director in serving as a liaison between the Chancery’s Department of Administration and the parishes’ Pastoral Assistants for Administration (PAAs) and accounting staff. Collaborates with the Director in organizing training sessions for new PAAs and for annual gathering of PAAs.
8. Maintains a current level of knowledge and skills in the area of accounting, Federal and State reporting regulations, building, construction, financial investing, insurance, legal and fundraising principles required to effectively serve as the Assistant Director of Parish Financial Services. This is accomplished by participation or membership in local, regional, or national professional associations. Keeps abreast of current issues, trends, and concerns through appropriate subscriptions.
a. Willingness and ability to support the mission of the Church by extending the ministry of the Archbishop.
b. Ability and desire to use God-given gifts and talents in service of the local Church in support of the collaboration between lay and ordained Ministers.
c. Active member of a parish/faith community in good standing with the Church.
a. BA or equivalent in Accounting or related field
b. CPA preferred
a. Proficiency with computerized accounting systems primarily QuickBooks.
b. Proficiency with computers, especially Microsoft Office.
c. Not-for-profit accounting experience.
4. Other Elements:
a. Excellent oral and written communication, analytical and organizational skills
b. Knowledge of and familiarity with the Catholic Church in Western Washington
c. Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
d. Must possess a valid Washington driver’s license and to travel throughout the Archdiocese of Seattle
e. Willing and able to work some evenings and weekends
f. Bilingual competency preferred
Competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply for this job, please visit our website at www.seattlearchdiocese.org/jobs. We require all applicants to submit our standard application and a cover letter. Resumes alone will not be accepted. (0)
Incoming search terms:
- archdiocese of seattle salary allocation
- archdiocese of washington parish accounting manual
- Director of Parish Financial Reporting and Training
- parish assistant financial program
- Parish Financial Issues Manual USCCB
- parish servcies director
- Parish Service Director
- SEATTLE PARISH FINANCIAL SERVICES*