This is a syndicated post from Aggie Catholics. [Read the original article...]
Q – In the book of Revelation – why is the number 7 important?
And 1/3 (not the number 3, but specifically 1/3)?
A - Thanks for the questions!
In the time before Jesus there was a popular kind of Jewish writing called Apocalyptic writing (AW). This writing had several characteristics including:
- It dealt with the subject of the last age of the world when good triumphs over evil
- It made much use of symbolism taken from the animal kingdom, astrology, numbers, etc.
The OT book of Daniel influenced much of this writing. These kind of writings also resembled some of the styles used in the OT prophetic books like Isaiah and Zechariah. But, there are differences with the prophetic books, they include:
- AW doesn’t use an author’s name, but one of a celebrated persona
- AW conceives of this world as being of Satan and incapable of regeneration. Therefore the most that man can hope for is a new world that he can pray for.
- AW has determinism.That is, that there is very little room for personal freedom or conversion.What is, is.
Rev 1:12 Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw golden lampstands.
a third of the creatures living in the sea died, and a third of the ships were wrecked. – rev 8:9
Incoming search terms:
- book of Revelation bible study
- book of revelations bible study summary