MIDDLE SCHOOL SCIENCE TEACHER
Education: Middle/High School, FT Employee
Saint Benedict Catholic School (Richmond, VA)
Saint Benedict Catholic School seeks a Full Time Middle School Science Teacher to begin in Fall 2014. The school is committed to partnering with parents and providing a traditional education in a faith-filled environment. To that end, the school is transitioning to a classical model of education. The school is centrally located in Richmond’s Museum District, with an enrollment of 205 students.
Our mission is to form the minds of our students with the perennial wisdom of a classical education, and to move their wills to a greater love of the true, the good, and the beautiful. As a Catholic school, we center all truth in Jesus Christ and offer our teaching in fidelity to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. Integrating faith and reason, we strive to lead our students to a love of that Wisdom which is “a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of the working God”
Statement of Philosophy
The goal of education ought to be the formation of intelligent and morally upright persons. The ability to think clearly, reason through an argument, and present positions with eloquence are the marks of a well-ordered mind, while the ability to recognize and appreciate beauty and goodness are the marks of a well ordered will. These two ends – perfecting the natural powers of the mind and training the will to love the good – have been the hallmark of education in Western Civilization for over 2,000 years.
At Saint Benedict School, we believe that education is more than just training for tests and jobs. It is the formation of the whole person in the perennial wisdom of Western Civilization, making him a standard, not just of his time, but of all times. In this, classical education is eminently practical and urgently needed. The curriculum at Saint Benedict’s is planned according to four main principles:
- A classical education lays its foundation in the great works of Greece, Rome, and the Western tradition.
- A classical education understands Latin to be not only the continuing, universal language of the Catholic Church but also the fundamental culture from which all Western literature, art, philosophy, and science have sprung.
- A classical education honors the precept that an education worth pursuing must be an education in virtue and character, not just in facts and knowledge. It believes in the education of the whole person through the appreciation of beauty in art and music and of truth in literature and science.
- A classical education knows that the very words which define our country’s unique place in history – republic, democracy, liberty – grow from the Founding Fathers’ grasp of the classical languages and history. It recognizes that our nation’s continual struggle to maintain and advance those values requires a constant renewal of our commitment to those classically derived ideals.
Middle School Science Teacher
The Middle School Science Teacher will partner with parents and teachers to foster and promote student learning and moral development through a classical Catholic curriculum. The Middle School Science Teacher will teach all Middle School Science classes and provide support, as needed, to the Elementary Teachers.
• hold a bachelor’s degree or better from an accredited college or university, in science, engineering or related area
• have a passion and commitment to classical education
• be able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
• upon employment, be able to pass criminal background checks
• hold a Virginia Teacher Certification with an endorsement for Middle School Science or have the qualifications necessary to obtain one upon hire
• have coursework in a broad array of areas
• Embrace learning through investigation and collaboration
Candidates should submit a letter of interest, vitae, references, a statement of educational philosophy, copies of transcripts, and a Diocese of Richmond Application for Employment.
Address your letter to Sean Cruess, Principal ([email protected]) and submit a copy of your materials to the Business Office ([email protected]) NO LATER THAN MAY 31. Materials are shared electronically so electronic submission is preferred.
Web site: http://www.saintbenedictschool.org/ (0)
Incoming search terms:
- saint benedict church richmond va
- catholic schools richmond va
- teaching in a catholic school