This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER
Fundraising, FT Employee
Cardinal Newman Society (Manassas, VA)
The Major Gifts Officer is a key member of The Cardinal Newman Society’s Development team and is expected to contribute substantially to the improvement and success of the Society’s major giving program. The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for identifying, recognizing, cultivating, soliciting, and maintaining records for individual major donors to The Cardinal Newman Society. The position requires frequent communications with donors and donor prospects and significant travel nationwide.
The Major Gifts Officer is supervised by the President, reports regularly to the Executive Vice President, and coordinates activities with other members of the Society’s Development and Programs staff. This is a full-time position from The Cardinal Newman Society’s offices in Manassas, Virginia.
Specific areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
• Designs, implements and manages Major Gifts activities including identifying, recognizing, cultivating, soliciting, and maintaining records for major donors to The Cardinal Newman Society.
• Develops and implements a comprehensive Major Gifts Program Plan and Calendar appropriate to the size and resources of the organization, in coordination with the Society’s leadership and Development staff, and with the approval of the President.
• Manages a portfolio of major donors, legacy gift donors, and prospects for major and legacy gifts.
o Collects, identifies, researches, and qualifies major gift and legacy gift prospects.
o Develops and implements donor-appropriate cultivation strategies for each donor or prospect.
o Successfully maintains donor support and moves donors to higher levels of giving.
o Successfully proposes and solicits major gifts for general operations and specific program priorities, as well as legacy gifts.
o Communicates with donors and prospects in ways appropriate to them, including mail, phone, email, and personal visits.
o Involves President in communications and visits when appropriate to the donor or prospect.
o Maintains detailed records on donors, prospects, and communications.
• Works with the President, Executive Vice President, and Programs staff to develop, write, and produce major gift and grant proposals for specific program priorities.
• Meets or exceeds income projections in the Major Gifts Program Plan.
• Monitors and evaluates the performance of the Major Gifts Program and reports data regularly to the President.
• Ensures consistency of messaging across all Major Gifts Program activities to advance and clearly articulate the mission and vision of The Cardinal Newman Society.
• Adheres to the highest ethical standards of fundraising and employment; listens and strive to attend to donors’ interests and needs as appropriate to The Cardinal Newman Society’s needs and mission; shows a positive and engaging demeanor when communicating with donors.
Development Office Infrastructure & Processes
• Creates office systems to support all Major Gifts Program projects and operations.
• Manages major donor and gift record-keeping, processing, and acknowledgment.
• Manages foundation reporting and acknowledgement programs.
• Reports all significant Major Gifts Program activities and progress to the President, and provides regular reports as requested.
• Coordinates with the Membership Program staff to ensure that they cultivate, identify, and report potential major donors to the President and Major Gift Officer(s), and provide any available materials and information needed to visit, cultivate, and solicit major donors.
• Recruits, interviews, and selects well-qualified Major Gifts Program staff in consultation with the President, as resources allow.
• Supervises, trains, and motivates Major Gifts Program staff to ensure productivity and employee satisfaction.
• Recruits, selects, trains, and supervises volunteers for special Major Gifts Program projects and events.
• Works closely with the Executive Vice President and Communications staff to coordinate marketing and public relations activities with Development priorities.
Qualifications for this position include:
• Dedication to the mission and ideals of The Cardinal Newman Society, including the “Commitment to Fidelity and Excellence”.
• A practicing and faithful Catholic who is familiar with Catholic tradition, teachings, and education.
• Five or more years professional fundraising or related experience, preferably in Catholic and/or higher education environment.
• Proven experience in major gift cultivation and solicitation.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and write major gift and foundation grant proposals.
• Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with donors and co-workers.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work as a leader and as part of a team.
• Proficient use of standard office computer software and development database systems.
Compensation includes a salary commensurate with the employee’s expertise and experience and a full range of employee benefits including full-family health and dental insurance, life insurance, and a retirement plan with employer contributions. (114)