All of us want the same thing. Happiness.
In fact, most of the decisions we make are in seeking out our own happiness or the happiness of others. But, we seek it in ways that sometimes don’t really help.
- Some of us seek it out in pleasure, yet find that pleasure alone cannot equal happiness and we are then left unfulfilled. We can find examples of this in how people seek it in drugs or alcohol.
- Some of us seek it in other people, and find they will always be unable to fulfill our deepest longings. Thus, we feel that we haven’t found the right person or that we need to change them. This leads to many broken marriages and relationships.
- Some seek it in a combination of pleasure and people. An example is when people seek to use others sexually. Pre-marital sex, contraception, affairs, etc. This will always lead to unhappiness.
- Some people seek it in power or glory. They mistake human admiration for happiness, which will always be shown as a sham ultimately.
- Some seek it in money and attaining earthly treasures. They obtain things in place of having real happiness.
So, what will bring true happiness? Let JPII tell us about it,
“Creating man and woman in his own image and likeness, God wills for them the fullness of good, or supernatural happiness, which flows from sharing in his own life.”
Pope Francis put it this way:
“In our day we pass in front of so many doors that invite us to come in, promising a happiness which later we realize lasts only an instant, exhausts itself with no future. But I ask you: by which door do we want to enter? And who do we want to let in through the door of our life? I would like to say forcefully: let’s not be afraid to cross the threshold of faith in Jesus, to let him enter our life more and more, to step out of our selfishness, our closure, our indifference to others so that Jesus may illuminate our life with a light that never goes out. It is not a firework, not a flash of light! No, it is a peaceful light that lasts for ever and gives us peace. Consequently it is the light we encounter if we enter through Jesus’ door.”
We can only be truly happy when we stop trying to create our own happiness and share in the only thing that can truly grant us the gift of happiness – God. Thus, we have to receive the gift of love that God gives us. He made us to want happiness and He will fulfill that longing in a relationship with Him!
But, it isn’t merely our choosing God. He chose us first. Thus, we merely need to respond with a “yes” to his invitation.
Do you want to be happy? Of course.
So, choose God.
Receive His grace today.
Live your life for Him.
Love Him and His children.
How do you do this? Start with this prayer from Pope Francis:
“Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love, yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you. I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace.”
Another prayer of Francis:
“In silence, let us all look into our hearts and each one of us tell Jesus that we want to receive the seed of his Word. Say to him: Jesus, look upon the stones, the thorns, and the weeds that I have, but look also upon this small piece of ground that I offer to you so that the seed may enter my heart. In silence, let us allow the seed of Jesus to enter our hearts. Remember this moment. Everyone knows the seed that has been received. Allow it to grow, and God will nurture it.”