HS ENGLISH TEACHER
Education: Middle/High School, FT Employee
St. Labre Indian Catholic School (Ashland, MT)
St. Labre Indian Catholic School
Pretty Eagle Catholic Academy St. Charles Mission School
Job Title: High School English Teacher
Department: St. Labre Indian Catholic School
Reports To: High School Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt 9-month position
Job Code: Certified Salary Schedule
Approved Date: 07-01-13
Teaches secondary level students in one or more academic, vocational, or technical subjects by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. *Indicates the non-essential duties and responsibilities. Nothing in this job description restricts St. Labre’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1. Plans and develops course of study following curriculum guidelines of the school.
2. Develops and presents specific lesson plans using a variety of means, including lectures, projects, group discussions, exhibits, field trips, audiovisual and library resources, computers and the Internet.
3. Prepares assignments and tests for in-school preparation and homework. Monitors, assists, corrects, and grades student performances.
4. Conducts standardized tests in accordance with school polices and state law.
5. Maintains order in classroom, and administers discipline when necessary to achieve proper behavior.
6. Shares, with other teachers and aides, responsibility for monitoring halls, study periods, and lunchroom.
7. Counsels students when academic difficulties or behavioral problems arise.
8. Keeps records of academic performance, attendance, and social acclimation. Reports on all aspects of student development for school records and parents; conducts parent-teacher conferences on both a regularly scheduled and as-need basis.
9. Consults with other professionals where there appears to be evidence of learning disabilities, drug or alcohol abuse, or problems of social adjustment. Coordinates decisions with parents concerning specialized interventions that appears warranted.
10. Works with counselors in helping students to select course of study or college.
11. Participates in faculty meetings, educational conferences, professional training seminars and workshops.
12. Performs related duties such as sponsoring one or more activities or student organizations, assisting pupils in selecting course of study, and counseling student in adjustment and academic problems.
Directly responsible for any student under the teacher’s care.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; and one to three years related experience and/or training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
2. Strong organizational and management skills.
3. Superlative interpersonal skills.
4. Ability to maintain materials of a highly confidential nature.
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents and the general public.
6. Ability to deal effectively with questions or problems, seeking assistance when needed.
7. Willingness to continue professional courses as required according to school guidelines.
8. Respects the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ in private, personal, and public life.
9. Commitment to the mission of the Roman Catholic Church in Native American education.
10. Sensitivity to, and appreciation of Native American people and their cultures.
11. Ability to teach moral and spiritual values to youth.
12. Ability to serve as an appropriate role model for students.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Montana Teaching Certificate or sufficient credits for state accreditation as a secondary school teacher.
Valid Montana driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. (0)