This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULT MINISTRY
Youth Ministry, FT Employee
St. Pius X Church (Loudonville, NY)
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULT MINISTRY
ST. PIUS X, LOUDONVILLE, NY
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: DIRECTOR OF YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULT MINISTRY
Status: Full-time, exempt, salaried position with benefits package
Reports to: Fr. James J. Walsh, Pastor
PRIMARY FUNCTION OF THIS POSITION:
Create a vibrant, comprehensive ministry that together with existing parish, school, parent and youth committees, will implement the goals of the St. Pius X youth and young adult ministry program. Everything we do at St. Pius X church should draw our community closer to Jesus Christ, and allow our people to experience Christ in their lives.
1. To empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
2. To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission and work of our Catholic faith community.
3. To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each youth and young adult.
KEY YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULT MINISTRY ELEMENTS:
• Advocacy – youth proclaiming their faith
• Catechesis – teaching the tenets of the Catholic faith
• Community Life – youth and young adult participation integrated into the church life
• Evangelization & Outreach – drawing others to the light of Christ
• Justice and Service – actively serving others
• Leadership Development – youth and young adults acting as role models of Christian behavior
• Pastoral Care – serving the parish and its parishioners
• Prayer and Worship – music, age-appropriate readings, lectures, speakers, Bible-studies.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND REGULAR ACTIVITIES
1. Develop and lead comprehensive ministry for youth and young adults, ages 11 – 21 years old, with varying programs targeting middle school, high school and college age parishioners.
2. Build strong ties with St. Pius X Parish and School of approximately 1000 students, grade 6 through college, to encourage participation where applicable.
3. Create an innovative and youth-oriented program for catechetical efforts for adolescents utilizing a comprehensive youth ministry model which includes Confirmation preparation classes for grades 9 and 10. (coordination of religious education program for public school students grades 6-8 is handled by other staff members).
4. Prepare youth for celebrating Confirmation and with pastor organize the Confirmation Mass.
5. Utilize effective means of communicating with youth, their parents, families and young adults about the variety of ministry and program opportunities available.
6. Support parents as the leaders of the domestic church of the home, and the primary formers of the faith of their children.
7. Provide ongoing education and generate excitement for the broader parish in regards to a vision of youth ministry, youth culture, adolescent development, youth needs, youth activities, etc. Same for young adults.
8. Serves as the St. Pius X liaison to the “Colonie Cluster” of five parishes and the Diocese of Albany for broader worship, service and programming opportunities, as well as other youth and young adult -serving agencies within the broader community.
9. Advocate for participation by youth and young adults in the ministries and service organizations of the parish.
10. Develop and utilize evaluative tools for all aspects of the ministry.
11. Develop and maintain a budget approved by the Finance Committee and Pastor. Initiate opportunities for grants or donations for special projects.
1. Be a person of Catholic faith who strives to live a life guided by the Gospel, rooted in regular personal prayer, and lived out in the St. Pius X faith community. Witnesses to the Catholic faith in his/her lifestyle.
2. Have a faith formed in the Catholic theological tradition.
3. Enjoys leading groups; skilled in communication, budgeting, legal issues and managing volunteers.
4. Enjoys youth and young adult culture and can effectively and safely use technology and age-appropriate social media to connect and build the faith of parish youth and youth adults in a relevant, visual and vibrant manner (websites, Twitter, email, YouTube, software and online tools, powerpoint and/or smartboard, etc.)
5. Understands and effectively applies the principles, processes and methods of evangelization and catechesis, individual, communal and liturgical prayer in ministry with youth and young adults.
6. Build community among youth and young adults with the goal of enjoying time spent together, provide pastoral care and lead them in justice and service.
7. Encourage character development using a Christian role model.
8. Understand the critical role that families play in the healthy formation of youth and young adults and can effectively integrate a family perspective into ministry.
9. Sensitivity to all youth and young adults from different backgrounds, abilities and cultural heritages.
10. Extensive knowledge about, and able to effectively utilize, a variety of resources in youth and young adult ministry.
11. Ability to work evenings, some weekends, travel on retreats with youth and young adults as necessary to attend conferences, etc.
12. Be a flexible individual with an ability to work collaboratively with others.
13. Has a passion and desire to minister to and with youth and young adults.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Degree in Theology, Religious Studies, Youth Ministry or related field preferred.
Previous youth and young adult ministry experience in a dynamic program desirable.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR QUANTIFIABLE MEASURES
Responsible for a defined budget.
If interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to: Fr. James Walsh, St. Pius X Church, 23 Crumitie Rd., Loudonville, NY 12211. Electronic submission of cover letters and applications can be made to [email protected] (subject line should include “YYAM position”). Please contact this same email address for any questions. All applications and cover letters must be submitted by February 26, 2014. (131)