DIRECTOR OF VOLUNTEER SERVICES
Management, FT Employee
Archdiocese of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
World Meeting of Families- Philadelphia
Director of Volunteer Services
Director of Event Services
Volunteer Leaders (Captains), Event Volunteers
This is a full-time, temporary position. We expect that the position will be necessary through end of 2015. The Director of Volunteer Services will be responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining a volunteer program designed to provide a supplementary workforce through the use of parish, corporate, academic, community and individual resources which has the depth and breadth of skills and experience necessary to ensure the successful completion of the World Meeting of Families – Philadelphia and the Papal Visit scheduled for September 22nd – 27th, 2015.
This position’s success should ultimately result in volunteers with a deeper engagement and commitment to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and the Catholic Church.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop Volunteer Master Plan, in coordination with the Director of Event Services, Human Resources Director, Marketing Director, Digital Content Director and Event Management staff which projects volunteer needs and establishes recruitment goals for the World Meeting beginning July 1st, 2014 through December 31st, 2015.
• Develop outreach and communications plans to identify prospects and exceed recruitment goals.
• Benchmark and develop Volunteer best practices that enable World Meeting volunteers to provide an exceptional visitor experience while having a rewarding and enlightening personal experience.
• Work closely with Human Resources Director (and with input from Legal Counsel) to develop World Meeting of Families Volunteer Guidelines that outline types of volunteers, expectations of volunteers, projected duties of volunteers, time commitments, screening requirements (background checks, health issues, etc ), language needs and all other requirements needed to successfully qualify as a volunteer.
• Develop strong relationships within the community and local parishes to foster a positive image such that companies and individuals will want to be a World Meeting volunteer.
• Work with corporate partners, civic organizations and local parishes to identify volunteer opportunities for their employees.
• Implement training for World Meeting staff and Board Members to “lead the charge” for volunteers when speaking or attending special events.
• Develop comprehensive training materials to effectively conduct orientations and training sessions along with timelines for implementation
• Represent the organization in public meetings and presentations to the community.
• Develop/Oversee a volunteer Speakers Bureau to utilize dedicated volunteers to represent the World Meeting at local speaking engagements (church group meeting, school programs, etc ) and third party events.
• Develop and implement processes that enable Volunteer Services to effectively and efficiently recruit and retain volunteers from corporate, religious, non-profit, and education resources.
• Work closely with IT Director, Human Resources Director, Marketing Director, Digital Content Director and Event Management staff to develop an effective on-line presence for volunteer recruitment, training, scheduling and communications.
• Ensure coverage needs at all World Meeting events and other related activities and other internal requirements for volunteers are met and managed in a timely manner.
• Establish a process to regularly meet internal organizational needs by developing a volunteer leader program to support operations requirements.
• Develop a “skill based” professional group of volunteers to meet the unique needs of the World Meeting of Families organization.
• Report on demand fulfillment and recruitment goals on a weekly basis.
• Develop and execute metrics and reporting program, to include reporting on recruitment goals, special “skills”, availability by event, language needs and skills, etc
• Efficiently manage the documentation process, calendaring and data collection.
• Establish, maintain and leverage appropriate technology tools to manage the Volunteer Services function.
• Manage the coordination of appropriate and meaningful volunteer experiences.
• Ensure the volunteer experience is easy to access, meaningful to the volunteer and productive for the World Meeting.
• Develop a volunteer recognition program, to thank/publicly acknowledge key individuals and organizations.
• Plan volunteer recognition events and activities following set schedule and within budget.
• Clearly communicate the “Mission” ensuring everyone works toward the same goals.
• Ensure that responsibilities and authorities of employees are defined and understood.
• Establish goals, monitor progress and provide coaching to enable them to meet their goals.
• Create a positive environment where two-way communication and strong trust are established.
• Recognize “exceptional” volunteers and address those who do not meet expectations in a timely and fair manner, terminating when necessary.
• Ensure team members are fully trained on the skills necessary for them to succeed.
• Ensure workload is distributed equitably by monitoring hours worked and task assignments.
• Focus on teamwork and customer service so employees understand the importance of assisting others.
• Administer all policies according to guidelines. (e.g. recruitment, training, behavior, uniforms, meal policies, safety, administration)
• Customer Service – demonstrate the ability to respond with a high degree of urgency to the needs & requests of others, internally and externally. Understand the impact of their work on others.
• Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
• Maintain constructive relationships and demonstrate respect for everyone contacted.
• Deal constructively with conflict and focus on the situation, issue or behavior and not on the person by diffusing situations before conflicts arise, resolving conflicts directly and actively promoting and gaining cooperation from others.
• Accurately provide and receive information in oral and written communications.
• Consistently provide ideas, opinions, or information in an articulate, professional way.
• Actively listen to others and demonstrate understanding of other points of view.
• Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities.
• Take the initiative to identify and act on problems and lead by example. Consistently make decisions that resolve problems.
REPRESENTATIVE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated leadership abilities and strategic thinking.
• Highly organized.
• Ability to prioritize big picture ideas and execute into tangible actions.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to present effective and compelling messages to individuals, groups and the public.
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a diverse variety of individuals.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, OTHER:
• Bachelor’s degree minimum with advanced degree preferred in nonprofit management.
• Volunteer Management or appropriate related experience
• Experience with Windows-based donor / volunteer software.
• Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Office Suite computer skills.
• Ability to travel.
• May need to obtain appropriate security clearances in connection with expected Papal visit.
Email Resumes or Inquiries to:
Amna Saleem- [email protected] (0)
Incoming search terms:
- archdiocese of Philadelphia world meeting families volunteer director
- colleen hammond speaking engagements in 2015
- Director of Volunteer Catholic Social Services Philadelphia
- high school volunteer programs at archdiocese of philadelphia