DIRECTOR OF LITURGY AND MUSIC
Music Ministry, FT Employee
Sacred Heart Catholic Church (Conroe, TX)
SUMMARY: The Director of Liturgy and Music is responsible for the effective planning, coordination and execution of music within the liturgical celebrations of the parish and school and for the growth and stability of all liturgical ministries. She or he is gifted with a vision of how a Parish can develop its potential through the Liturgy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
1) Schedules all rehearsals/choirs/cantors/musicians as needed for weekends, holy days, civic holidays, major celebrations, weddings, funerals, weekly school Mass, 8th grade graduation, etc.
2) Selects and develops worship aids
3) Ensures appropriate musical instruments are available and in good working order
4) Assures appropriate copyright permissions, etc. are in place
5) Coordinates with the staff and various committees and ministries to ensure appropriate music at parish sacramental celebrations
6) Facilitates quarterly meetings with choir directors to prepare for the upcoming liturgical season, evaluate and access needs, and fellowship.
7) Attends staff and other meetings as needed to ensure effective liturgical celebrations and communication
8) Evaluate needs and communicate annual goals to music and liturgical ministries, choir directors, music ministers and other liturgical ministry coordinators
9) Prepares and manages the budget for the liturgy and music in collaboration with the Pastor and the Parish Administrator.
10) Order liturgical and music supplies
The Director of Liturgy and Music:
1) Encourages participation of parish community in singing at various liturgies
2) Coordinates planning for sacramental liturgies, e.g., weddings, funerals, baptisms, etc.
3) Ensures music during liturgy does not become a performance
4) Plans, prepares or coordinates with the various choir directors the music selections for liturgical celebrations
5) Accompanist and director for choirs or cantors for the Masses that do not have a committed volunteer choir director, musicians and members. Currently, this requires the director to be the accompanist and director at the Saturday 5:30 p.m. and Sunday 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Masses.
6) Selects and plans music in cooperation with the Liturgy Committee for use in parish liturgies.
7) Conducts rehearsals for choirs or cantors who sing at these liturgies.
8) The liturgies for weddings, quinceaneras and funerals are responsibilities first of the Director of Liturgy and Music. When pastorally appropriate another choir may be called upon for these celebrations (i.e. Spanish Choir for a Spanish wedding).
9) Provides planning tools and recommendations for liturgical seasons to liturgical ministry coordinators/choir directors.
1) Recruits, trains and ensures development of liturgical ministries (music education, for cantors/leaders of song, choral and instrumental groups).
2) Support parish ministries and programs regarding music, education of staff, ministers of music, and parishioners in understanding of the role of music in worship and to celebrate liturgies of musical quality
1) Visibly present at principal parish events and keeping attuned to the living faith of the parish.
2) Ensure involvement of newcomers and a broad spectrum of parishioners.
3) Works to foster unity in the parish and among all liturgical ministry members, and to create a spirit of harmony with the presider and other liturgical ministers.
4) Promotes good public relations both within and beyond the parish, and is involved in ecumenical, deanery, and archdiocesan networks of professional peers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1) Strong written and oral communication skills
2) Experience leading and recruiting volunteers
3) Knowledge of and comfortable with Church music literature in all forms and styles for the parish, choir (adult, teen, children), vocalists and instrumentalists
4) Proficient in liturgical principles
5) Has a thorough understanding of the musical, liturgical, and pastoral judgments regarding music selection for liturgies
6) Has a demonstrated proficiency in keyboard skills, vocal performance, choral and instrumental direction, and accompanying congregational singing
QUALIFICATIONS: Prior experience working in a Catholic parish is strongly preferred, as is knowledge of the Catholic Church. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required with a Master’s degree in music and liturgy preferred. Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills preferred.
SUPERVISOR / EMPLOYER: The Liturgy and Music Director is supervised by the Pastor and the Parish Administrator.
SUPERVISEES/DIRECT REPORTS: No supervisory duties at this time.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: This individual must be able to work collaboratively and professionally with the Pastor, the Deacons and other clergy; Parish Administrator and all other staff, parish and school leadership, volunteers, parishioners and the community.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The Director of Liturgy and Music is a 40-45 hour a week full-time exempt employee. The Director of Liturgy and Music will maintain published office hours that meet the needs of the Parish. This position requires evening, holiday and weekend work.
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL: An annual appraisal will be conducted by the Parish Administrator, based on the position description and in accordance with Parish Personnel Policy and Archdiocesan guidelines. The appraisal will establish an annual growth plan for the Director of Liturgy and Music.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. This employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands, fingers, handle, or feel, and reach with hand and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: General Office Environment (0)
Incoming search terms:
- sacred heart church conroe tx catholic
- catholic church conroe tx
- sacred heart school conroe texas
- sacred heart conroe tx worship direcctor
- Sacred Heart Conroe TX
- sacred heart choir conroe
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church Texarkana Texas
- sacred heart catholic church seymour texas
- catholic church in conroe tx