DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Fundraising, FT Employee
Jerome Lejeune Foundation, USA (Philadelphia, PA)
The Jerome Lejeune Foundation was established in Paris in 1996 following the death of Dr. Jerome Lejeune, the physicians and researcher who discovered the genetic cause of Down syndrome. The Foundation is the world’s oldest and largest funder of research into genetic intellectual disabilities, having provided some $22.5 million since 1997 to researchers working worldwide to improve the lives of those living with these disabilities.
Founded in 2011, Jerome Lejeune Foundation USA is a extension of the foundation in Paris.
For more information, please visit www.lejeuneusa.org
Reporting to the President the Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the Jerome Lejeune Foundation USA. In partnership with the President, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build the Jerome Lejeune Foundation’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Director of Development will also design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a the Foundation’s budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
S/he will expand and diversify the Jerome Lejeune Foundation’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the Director of Development will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by the the Jerome Lejeune Foundation will increase in future years as the Director of Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
• Support and partner with the President and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
• Collaborate with the President and Finance Committee of the board to develop and implement the Jerome Lejeune Foundation’s financial strategy
• Actively work with the President and Development Committee of the board to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
• Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
• Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position the Jerome Lejeune Foundation ahead of major funding changes or trends
• Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
• Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
• Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
• Identify, develop, and mentor the development team
• 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
• Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
• Strong organizational skills
• Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others within and outside the Jerome Lejeune Foundation.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
• High energy and passion for the Jerome Lejeune Foundation’s mission is essential
• Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• Customer focus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills (73)