This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
DEAN OF STUDENTS
Management, FT Employee
Kolbe Academy-Trinity Prep (Napa, CA)
Dean of Students Job Description
Kolbe Academy & Trinity Prep, a Catholic school in Napa, California, is seeking a full-time Dean of Students to assist in the administration of the school. Under the direction of the Principal, the Dean of Students is responsible for supporting the school in its mission to evangelize and catechize youth in a Catholic school environment by serving as the primary interface with students and parents for all matter relating to student life-academic progress, behavioral expectations, athletics, and other extracurricular activities.
Working in conjunction with the Principal, the Dean of Students will fulfill the following functions:
• Recognize and support the unique Catholic mission of the school by speaking, acting, and instructing consistently with the teachings of the Catholic Church
• Respond to and resolve parent, student, and staff concerns and complaints relating to matters under his/her responsibility
• Work with the Principal to design, plan and implement annual orientation activities and the high school retreat
• Share in the supervision and monitoring of students on campus before and after school, and during lunch, recess, and other activities
• Manage the supervision of parking lot, hallways, lunch, detention, etc., including directing yard duty staff
• Attend meetings of parent and other groups
• Work with the Principal to establish a safe and secure learning environment for students
• Develop plans for emergency situations in collaboration with other administrators, staff, and public safety agencies, including planning and assessing emergency drills and the school’s safety plan
• Work effectively with all staff members to promote positive relationships with students and parents
• Assist the Principal in the school’s admissions efforts, including Open Houses, outbound admissions efforts, and inbound admissions inquiries
• Be responsible for the administration of the school in the absence of the Principal or as assigned
• Perform other duties as assigned
Academic & Disciplinary
• Devise programs to support students’ academic and behavioral success
• Assist in the development, implementation, and evaluation of intervention programs that address the needs of at-risk students
• Participate as needed in Individual Educational Plan meetings and Student Study Teams
• Serve as the primary administrator in implementation of the school’s discipline code as articulated in the Family Handbook, including the professional communications between teachers, students and parents as issues and the consequences of those issues arise
• Establish a consistent disciplinary approach which promotes self-direction and positive self-image; sets high standards for student behavior and manages inappropriate behavior effectively
• Participate in the annual review and update of the Family Handbook’s policies and procedures
• Monitor attendance and devise attendance improvement efforts as necessary
• Confer with the Principal as necessary on issues of major importance
• Serve as Athletic Director:
o Work in union with the school’s faculty and staff with the purpose of keeping the athletic program aligned with the overall mission of the school
o Monitor student academic progress to determine eligibility to participate in athletics, either directly or via the school’s administration
o Select and manage coaching personnel for teams, ensuring that coaches fully understand and support the nature of the school, its mission, its goals for student-athletes, and the proper decorum required of coaches
o Ensure that all coaches are fully authorized to coach, having all proper certifications through both the Santa Rosa Diocese and the California Interscholastic Federation
o Work with coaches on creation and maintenance of game schedules for each sport
o Secure and maintain necessary equipment, uniforms, and facilities for practices and home games
o Organize proper and authorized drivers to transport students to away games
o Secure proper officials for all home games
o Provide communication regarding athletic events with coaches, students, parents, and media
o Update athletic information on school website, social media sites, and other media sites (i.e., maxpreps.com)
o Ensure that the athletic program follows all rules and regulations of respective school, league, and section
o Represent school at the league, section, and state levels through attendance at meetings and other correspondence
o Act as or secure an Administrator to monitor all home games
o Work with Principal on creation and maintenance of the Athletic Budget
o Work with Bookkeeper to ensure payment of all necessary fees, dues, and bills related to the athletic program
o Work with the Sports Booster President in fundraising for the athletic program
• Serve as liaison to student government, extracurricular activities, and other competitive or performance programs and events
• Supervise activities, including evening activities, as assigned.
Applicants must be practicing Catholics who strive to live in accordance with the 10 Commandments and the teachings of the Church, as well as being willing to affirm and model Catholic teaching. All faculty and staff are required to pledge their fidelity to the teaching Magisterium of the Catholic Church, including to the Bishop of the Diocese of Santa Rosa.
Qualified applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject. Preference will be given to those who have significant work experience and/or advanced coursework (e.g., a Masters degree) in a relevant field. Catholic school administrative and/or teaching experience is highly desirable.
This position requires outstanding communications skills including written, verbal, public speaking, and presentation skills. Excellent human relations, interpersonal and diplomacy skills are a must. Candidates must be self-starters, well-organized, and team players. Proficiency in the use of computer technology including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required. Applicants must have the ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check. Professional bearing, and a clean, neat personal appearance is necessary.
About Kolbe Academy & Trinity Prep
Kolbe Academy & Trinity Prep is a Catholic school for families with children in Grades Pre-K – 12 in Napa, CA and offers a classically-based education in an academically challenging, faith-filled environment. The school is dedicated to forming the whole person-mind, body, and soul-in order to renew the world through children and young adults who possess the highest educational, moral, civic, and spiritual values. The school has been educating and forming young minds and souls since 1980. The school does not discriminate in its employment practices in regard to gender, race, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume or curriculum vitae, including relevant academic, professional and/or personal references. In addition to educational background and any teaching experience possessed, please include a list of subjects, activities (e.g., art, music, crafts) or sports you are capable of teaching, directing, advising, sponsoring, or coaching.
If interested, please send cover letter and other requested materials to:
[email protected] (120)