COORDINATOR OF YOUTH MINISTRY AND CONFIRMATION
Youth Ministry, PT Employee
St. Monica Church (Methuen, MA)
The CYMC is responsible for all aspects of a two-year Confirmation program as well as a comprehensive middle school and high school youth ministry program. The CYMC is a member of the Faith Formation Team. As such, he collaborates with other team members to implement the vision of the New Evangelization at St. Monica Parish and in time the Methuen Collaborative as it applies to faith formation in general and the Confirmation/Youth Ministry Program in particular. CYMC reports to the Director of Religious Education (DRE)
This is a twelve month, non-exempt position not to exceed 988 hrs per annum. It requires flexible hours which includes some weekends and evenings. The CYMC coordinates regular work/office hours with the supervisor. He submits a Time & Attendance Sheet.
The hourly rate is commensurate with experience.
Planned absences must have prior approval of the immediate supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate 2-year Confirmation Program, which includes service/outreach component, retreats, and liturgies, as well as other various special events;
Ensure the orthodoxy of all formal instruction and an ethos at all events which is conducive to Catholic living;
Develop and implement sustainable program of youth ministry for 5th through 12th grade students;
Achieve fundraising goals;
Recruit, train, support, and evaluate volunteers;
Research and acquire resources (media, etc.,) to help with effective programming;
Foster young people’s participation in the active life of the Church as is appropriate;
Coordinate outreach and evangelization by young people for young people;
Provide appropriate services and programs for families of participants;
Serve as liaison with the archdiocesan office of youth ministry to receive the benefit of their programs, services, and resources;
Connect with archdiocesan youth ministers and participate-as appropriate-in any organizations associated with the same;
Utilize social media to stay connected with parish families for advertising and evangelization purposes;
Communicate with staff about youth ministry activities and events;
Prepare reports for the DRE and/or Pastor or for those deemed necessary by them;
Attend conferral of sacraments, as appropriate;
Attend meetings in parish, cluster, deanery, diocesan, and parish events as deemed appropriate;
Provide regular and prompt communication with parishioners and families of students;
Ensure the safety of participants by upholding diocesan standards for screening, safety, and reporting.
Qualifications for the Position
1. Ability to effectively cooperate with the DRE, Sacrament Preparation Coordinator(s), Music Director, Catechists, and other religious education volunteers as well as any additional parish/school staff and parishioners as necessary;
2. Knowledge of and ability to convey Church’s official teaching especially with regard to living the faith as a lay person with a demonstrated fidelity to these teachings;
3. Knowledge of or willingness to become familiar with youth ministry/catechetical documents, program resources, options and methodologies which will assist the DRE to select programs, texts, audio-visual materials and other resources appropriate to meet the faith development of youth;
4. Knowledge of or willingness to become familiar with diocesan policies and guidelines to ensure that the parish’s faith formation policies and programs are developed and implemented in accordance with diocesan norms.
5. He/she possesses excellent interpersonal skills and an excellent rapport with children and youth
6. He/she has excellent oral and written communication skills
7. He/she must be a team builder
8. He/she must have excellent organizational and administrative skills
9. He/she must be flexible: available on weekends, evenings, and after school hours
The ideal candidate possesses a Bachelor’s Degree. A candidate with a High School diploma will be considered based on job experience.
The ideal candidate possesses an active and deep faith and participates in the liturgical and sacramental life of the Church
He/she should be proficient with or willing to become proficient with Microsoft Office and Parish Soft Databases
The CYMC will receive a written annual performance appraisal. The criteria used for this appraisal will be the aforementioned qualifications and duties (106)