This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
COORDINATOR OF MUSIC AND PRINCIPAL ACCOMPANIST
Music Ministry, PT Employee
St. Michael Catholic Church (New Lothrop, MI)
Saint Michael & Mary of the Immaculate Conception Parishes
COORDINATOR OF MUSIC & PRINCIPAL ACCOMPANIST
Primary Goal and Purpose:
To foster “full, conscious, and active participation” in the liturgy, encourage musical participation during liturgies, cultivate an appreciation of sacred music, select team members to facilitate the development of the parish music repertoire, and lead liturgical music.
Reports To: Pastor
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
• Coordinate with the Pastor in determining the Parish repertoire for all liturgies: Sunday and Holy Day Masses, weddings, funerals, and designated parish celebrations and programs.
• In consultation with the Pastor and parish worship commissions, develop a plan for each liturgical season of the Liturgical Year.
• Lead the choirs, instrumentalists and the assembly at liturgies and/or select team leaders to assist.
• Maintain a structure that fosters consistency within the ministry.
• Prepare worship aids for all celebrations and coordinate their printing with administrative staff.
• Consult with leaders of liturgical and social ministries on the use of sacred music in their activities.
• Provide appropriate communication to the communities regarding musical forms used in liturgies, seasonal variations, or upcoming activities.
• Develop and maintain emergent libraries of sacred musical compositions for each parish.
Parish Music Ministry
• Recruit, train, direct, and supervise vocalists and instrumentalists.
• Form, rehearse, and schedule choirs, ensembles, orchestras, etc. as required.
• Select, train, supervise, and mentor assistant directors (i.e. team leaders) as required.
• Lead the parishes’ Worship Commissions to a collaborative spirit and sense of purpose.
• Develop an independent Cantor Ministry or appoint a designee to do the same.
• Utilize communication procedures that adequately inform of upcoming events and activities.
• Instill a sense of service and stewardship within the Ministry.
Catholic Church and Diocese
• Assure that each parish use of music conforms to universal and diocesan directives.
• Maintain a positive working relationship with diocesan staff.
• When feasible participate and encourage parish musicians to participate in diocesan-wide liturgies and celebrations.
• Encourage participation in local workshops for Music Ministry participants.
Sacred Music Community
• Maintain professional skills through personal practice and continuing education opportunities.
• Maintain active membership in National Association of Pastoral Musicians (NPM) and other appropriate professional societies focused on sacred music and music in liturgy.
• With the parish business personnel, develop and administer a budget for Music Ministry.
• Establish and maintain office hours that are consistent with the requirements of the ministry.
• Attend scheduled staff meetings for each parish and ensure adequate communication is maintained to coordinate Music Ministry events and activities with other parish functions.
Background and Interpersonal Skills
• High degree of proficiency with a principal instrument capable of providing musical leadership during liturgies, preferably organ and piano.
• Working knowledge of other instruments that might be used in a liturgical setting and appropriate usage of these instruments in a Liturgical setting.
• Effective choral and instrumental conductor capable of directing both amateur and professional musicians, leading a choir in vocal exercises and providing vocal training as needed.
• Demonstrable skill as a leader of congregational singing.
• Ability to lead and train musicians in music theory and application.
• Possess extensive knowledge of a quality repertoire of liturgical music that spans various styles and forms.
• Understand the integration of musical and liturgical forms as practiced in the traditions and Canons of the Catholic Church.
• Ability to plan, coordinate, and communicate with those involved in parish programs.
• Ability to evaluate outcomes and adjust programs accordingly.
• Ability to monitor expenses and maintain a budget.
• Be an active member of the Catholic Faith and live a lifestyle which is reflective of the teachings of the Church.
• Understand and implement parish and diocesan guidelines concerning safe environment and strict adherence to the parish safe environment program.
Training and Education
• Degree in Music (Master’s preferred)
• Liturgical planning training or experience
• Minimum of 5 years experience in liturgical music
• Minimum of 5 years choral directing experience (167)
Incoming search terms:
- liturgical music for the catholic church
- Church of St Michael
- music catholic