COORDINATOR OF ADVOCACY AND JUSTICE
Pastoral Ministry, FT Employee
Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee (Pensacola, FL)
DIOCESE OF PENSACOLA-TALLAHASSEE
Job Title: Coordinator of Advocacy and Justice
Reports To: Director of Family Life
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: May, 2013
The Coordinator of Advocacy and Justice directs the programs and activities of this office to promote an understanding among people of the diocese about Catholic Social Teaching and the consistent ethic of life including the sanctity and dignity of life from natural conception to natural death, fostering the social mission of the church and working for the common good. The coordinator is responsible to the Director of Family Life for the financial management and activities of the office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Participates in Secretariat and other diocesan meetings as appropriate
• Serves as a liaison in the area of Advocacy and Justice to the Florida Catholic Conference and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and directs initiatives of these organizations to Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee constituents as appropriate
• Prepares annual budget for the Office of Advocacy and Justice and monitors budget
• Represents the Ordinary of the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee at Florida Catholic Conference meetings, events, and activities regarding Advocacy and Justice
• Works collaboratively with Catholic Charities and leaders in parish social ministry, clergy, religious staff of other Diocesan offices toward promoting Catholic social teaching throughout the Diocese
• Responsible for promotion and coordination of the collection and programs of the USCCB Catholic Campaign for Human Development, and Catholic Relief Services in the Pensacola-Tallahassee Diocese
• Offers programs to bring the diocesan community to an understanding that action for justice is a constitutive dimension of Christian life and spirituality
• Plans and manages training and development of parish social ministry leaders and coordinators
• Coordinates and provides oversight for educational and legislative advocacy efforts
• Networks with interfaith and community based coalitions, agencies, organizations and interfaith communities when appropriate
• Works with the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee Director of Family Life for program coordination
• Organizes with the Secretary of Evangelization an annual Christian Unity Prayer Service and interfaith prayer events
• Addresses media regarding social justice and life issues under the direction of the Diocesan Office of Communication
• Advises the Director of Family Life on appropriate community and public policy initiatives
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A baptized and practicing Catholic who is continuing to deepen their faith development is recommended. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the policies of the diocese.
Ability to represent the diocese in a professional manner and within the bounds of authority delegated by the bishop
Willingness to continue professional development to enhance job performance and/or organizational goals as identified through regular supervision and annual job reviews
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in education, sociology, or other related field. Knowledge of Catholic social teaching and experience as a leader and facilitator is required. Strong ecumenical orientation is desired. Must be flexible with regard to work hours. High degree of flexibility in order to achieve objectives and meet demands. Strong pastoral formation background/education is an asset.
Ability to effectively communicate Catholic social teaching and bishop’s initiatives in this area to the Catholic community. Bi-lingual ability is desired. Demonstrated sensibility to a multi-cultural church. Proficiency with information technology. Highly developed interpersonal skills. Excellent organizational skills.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Requires the ability to lift at least 20 pounds. Also requires walking, sitting, bending. Ability to travel throughout the diocese.
Satisfactory background check and training in compliance with Diocesan fingerprint and background check policy. (0)
Incoming search terms:
- office of advocacy