This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
Other, FT Employee
St. James Catholic Church (Falls Church, VA)
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER (Full Time, Paid Staff Position)
Purpose of this Ministry
In concert with the Pastor, staff, and other parish leaders, create, maintain and evaluate communications channels and tools that effectively share the prayers, news and works of the people of St. James and assist their efforts to develop their faith, cultivate rootedness in Jesus Christ and share the Gospel message through the encounters of their daily life.
Average Hours Devoted to this Ministry Each Week: 30-40
Position Reports to: Director of Evangelization
• Must be a person of faith committed to Gospel values. Must understand and support the mission and purpose of the Church and Parish and have a passion for sharing the Good News.
• Must be a creative and motivated self-starter.
• Must be organized, able to meet deadlines and capable of flexibility when required. Must be collaborative and capable of assisting ministries and fellow staff members with projects.
• Must have an understanding of principles of design and effective writing. Must be capable of using a variety of design and publication software programs, including Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements and other programs or web-based resources. Must be familiar with professional level camera for photography and video.
• Must have ability to work flexible hours, including some weeknights and weekends.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and two years of communications experience as well as ongoing professional development.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English (writing and speaking) highly preferred.
• Serve as lead staff member for sharing parish and school news and events with parishioners, staff and external audiences, and collecting timely information and announcements.
• Write and/or edit content as needed for all communication channels, including newsletter articles, reflections, pastor columns and event announcements.
• Produce weekly bulletin and monthly newsletters and other promotional materials in collaboration with key staff and parishioners at a high level of professionalism.
• Maintain website and respond to change requests by staff or ministry leaders in a timely manner with a focus on the public parish calendar, the current events section, staff information and ministry pages.
• Translate key parish communications into Spanish and assist parish staff serving Spanish-speaking parishioners.
• Maintain all communication channels as the platforms change to ensure a unified brand and ensure effective use of time and technology.
• Produce and identify video content for parish website video player and YouTube channel.
• Deploy social media effectively, including Facebook, Twitter and email campaigns.
• Implement a communications plan for the parish that incorporates the liturgical year with the parish and school calendars and provides flexibility for emerging projects and new ministries.
• Execute appropriate and creative communications strategies for various projects, programs and events in a timely manner and report outcomes on a regular basis or as requested by supervisor and pastor.
• Identify and effectively share exemplary stories of parish life, including ministries, traditions and feast days, as well as Catholic resources for all walks of life and spiritual stages.
• Ensure that parishioners of all ages and walks of life are effectively reached via parish communications (print and online) and provide formal and informal means of feedback.
• Support and facilitate outreach efforts of Director of Evangelization, Director of Religious Education, Director of Youth Ministry, Director of Advancement, volunteer coordinators of Adult Faith Formation programs such as scripture studies and other ministries.
• Provide training and support for parish staff and key ministry leaders as necessary to ensure full engagement with parish communications channels and receive feedback regarding effectiveness.
• Coordinate advertising and public relations with parish staff and appropriate personnel at local Catholic and lay newspapers. Refer press inquiries to appropriate channels following diocesan guidelines.
St. James Catholic Church is located at Park Avenue and Spring Street in Falls Church, Virginia. Founded in 1892, the parish has a long tradition of adapting to the changing needs of its people and serving the wider community through various outreach programs. Currently nearly 2800 families are served by three diocesan priests in residence, two deacons and the Sister, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary convent community as well as a professional office staff. Additionally, our Hispanic community has a strong relationship with its assigned visiting priests and a Spanish-speaking IHM sister who shares their language and understands their customs. Our members are from every stage of life and many ethnic backgrounds. Their engagement with the world beyond parish boundaries is enhanced by the frequent residency of African priests pursuing advanced degrees at Catholic Universities.
Parishioners lead and manage several key programs, including our liturgical ministries, scripture studies and social outreach programs. The youth ministry actively engages students from junior high through high school graduation. Our Parish Religious Education Program serves nearly 400 children with weekly classes offered by catechists who are supported in developing their classroom management skills and their personal faith formation. With almost 450 students and an engaged PTO, our Blue Ribbon School continues to excel in offering the best academic experience in a Gospel-centered environment, enriching our students and school community spiritually and socially as well as academically.The pastor and youth minister actively engage with college students during their studies to ensure their spiritual well-being. Our senior citizens are fully integrated into the parish and also gather monthly for social activities. The parish provides a minister to the sick and homebound as well as a team of visiting Eucharistic ministers and a prayer partners program to keep connected with those unable to come to the campus. Though the population of our parish and its surrounding area is often transient, we are blessed to have several generations of active lifelong members.
The sacramental life of the parish includes weekly baptisms, frequent weddings, twice weekly scheduled confessions, and a full liturgical schedule of three daily Masses, a vigil Mass and six Sunday Masses as well as a weekly Holy Hour and monthly Adoration and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. Our beautiful stained-glass church is packed to overflowing on Christmas and Easter, and often in between, but most importantly, the people of St. James are committed to being united in the faith and acting as the living presence of Christ in the world.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Please send a letter of interest and resume via email to Rich Blickendorfer, Business Manager, at [email protected] No phone calls please. For best consideration, please apply by Tuesday, September 30, 2014. (167)
Incoming search terms:
- catholic diocese virginia parishes