This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
BI-LINGUAL DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY
Public Relations, FT Employee
DeSales Media Group, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY)
The bi-lingual Deputy Press Secretary will be responsible to provide overall support to the Director, Press Secretary in all aspects of the Office of Communications. This includes assisting in the handling of media inquiries, researching issues, coordinating media outreach activities and helping the social media efforts for the Diocese of Brooklyn and its principle Bishop, His Excellency Nicholas DiMarzio, Ph.D., D.D. Verbal and written fluency in English and Spanish is a key requirement as the Deputy will be responsible for various translations and conducting interviews with Spanish press outlets. The Deputy Press Secretary will also provide assistance in the public relations efforts of DeSales Media Group and will perform other related duties as assigned.
• Support the efforts of the Press Secretary and Office of Communications as directed. This includes being on call and available as events unfold.
• Draft press releases, media materials, talking points and statements for various high profile Diocesan leaders and related issues.
• Maintain a deep understanding of the practices and structure of the Roman Catholic Church, its teachings and its influence on prominent groups of city, state and federal agencies.
• Effortless fluency in verbal and written translation of documents, speeches and press releases in both Spanish and English.
• Conduct interviews for Spanish press outlets as directed by the Press Secretary
• Maintain and regularly update press lists
• Remain current with daily tracking of news coverage that impacts the RC Church, Diocese of Brooklyn and Bishop DiMarzio.
• Event planning for various media, Diocese and DeSales Media sponsored events.
• Successfully interact with all levels of management, Diocese personnel and media while portraying professionalism, discretion and confidentiality at all times
• Be available to attend various functions throughout the Diocese representing the Press Secretary and Office of Communications that occur evenings and weekends
• BA in Journalism, Communication or related studies
• Minimum 3 years of related experience in public relations, press office or news reporting in a fast paced environment
• Deep understanding of the practices and teachings of the RC Church.
• Flexibility in work hours including being on call to attend events that periodically occur on evenings and weekends
• Excellent writing skills
• English and fluent Spanish verbal and written communication skills
• Able to represent the Diocese with a professional presentation, image and communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills – team player & self starter
• Ability to take direction, multi-task and understand priorities
• Detail oriented and excellent proof reading skills
• Proficiency in Mac, I Cloud and MS Office Suite including Power Point
• Punctuality and Dependability are critical
• Valid drivers license and familiarity with Brooklyn and Queens Diocesan districts area are essential (89)