This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FOR PARISH SOCIAL MINISTRY
Pastoral Ministry, FT Employee
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux (Houma, LA)
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux (CCHT) has a full time position for Associate Director for Parish Social Ministry. The Associate Director will coordinate and support social ministries in the parishes by teaching the social justice message of the Church; coordinating legislative advocacy, Catholic Campaign for Human Development, and Catholic Relief Services; serving as liaison with community organizations; preparing parish based disaster preparedness plans, and promoting CCHT programs within the 39 diocesan parishes. Applicants should demonstrate a clear commitment to social justice, knowledge of Catholic social teaching and strong oral and written communication and presentation skills. Parish social ministry experience required. Send resume to Robert Gorman, Executive Director, Catholic Charities, 1220 Aycock Street, Houma, Louisiana 70360 [email protected]
Associate Director for Parish Social Ministry
• Promote CCHT programs in parishes.
• Present Catholic social teaching through parish courses such as JustFaith and through other vehicles (and continue our leadership in environmental justice education and organizing).
• Develop social ministry committees and volunteer networks at parishes.
• Communicate Catholic Social Teaching to the agency staff and remain current on Catholic Social Teaching.
• Convene diocesan Life and Justice Panel of parish leaders.
• Coordinate and expand legislative advocacy networks (A Catholic Voice for Justice).
• Coordinate the Catholic Campaign for Human Development and Catholic Relief Services, especially collections, CRS Rice Bowl and Work of Human Hands (including Fair Trade) and support the parishes in these projects.
• Support diocesan restorative justice efforts, by serving as representative to Louisiana Catholics Committed to the Repeal of the Death Penalty and assisting deacon director of prison ministry.
• Promote justice as central to liturgy.
• Assist with development of parish based disaster (e.g. hurricane) preparedness plans.
• Manage Matthew 25 network of parish disaster volunteers, by providing trainings, serving as liaison to governmental and non-governmental disaster response agencies, and support parishes’ efforts to recruit and mobilize volunteers.
• Liaison with Catholic Roundtable Association for Diocesan Social Action Directors and other justice organizations
• Liaison with BISCO (Bayou Interfaith Shared Community Organizing), the CCHD funded group, and other community organizations .
• Foster good community relations to support CCHT both within Catholic parishes and within the broader community.
• Commitment to social justice and in-depth familiarity with Catholic social teaching
• Experience in parish social ministry, capacity building or community organizing
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
• Ability to drive throughout the diocese and work with people of diverse backgrounds
• Willingness to work flexible hours
• Good organizational skills, initiative and computer literacy
• Ability to work with, and motivate, other staff and Board of Directors to increase involvement in PSM
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux has a reputation for innovation and competence. We are a Roundtable member, active in CCHD and CRS, CCUSA member. We are active in Work of Human Hands. We were the first program in Louisiana to make a micro enterprise loan, and the first in the country to use the Federal Reserve Deposit Option program in our Catholic Housing Services program. Our staff has been recognized for environmental justice work by the White House and through a national documentary on CBS and through the USCCB. We have hosted clergy continuing education seminars with a focus on homiletics in the area of environmental justice and other justice and peace issues. We were one of two dioceses in the USA to pilot the CCHD economic justice education program. We have an active legislative advocacy network. We are very active in disaster relief work.
CCHT has had a strong commitment to Parish Social Ministry over the past thirty one years and has had an Associate Director for PSM for the past 15 years. This position has added greater consistency and focus to our PSM/Peace and Justice work. We have only 39 parishes and 4 missions in this diocese so we are able to build personal relationships with our clergy, religious and lay leaders. Our Bishop and Board of Directors are very supportive of our work. CCHT management operates as a team and has a commitment to keeping the agency dynamic and creative. (169)
Incoming search terms:
- catholic social teaching
- associate director parish social ministry
- catholi charities parish social ministry coodinator job description