This is a syndicated post from CatholicJobs.com. [Read the original article...]
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF RESIDENTIAL LIFE
Education: University/College, FT Employee
Assumption College (Worcester, MA)
BASIC PURPOSE: The Assistant Director of Residential Life provides leadership in a manner that complements the mission of Assumption College and as a team member of the Student Affairs Division. The Assistant Director of Residential Life must be dedicated to building a dynamic, nourishing, and enriching hall community that fosters Christian values consistent with the ideals and educational mission of a Catholic college. As a member of the Residential Life Staff, the Assistant Director of Residential Life is responsible for administering a variety of operational, educational, counseling, and disciplinary intervention components that are designed to foster personal and spiritual development and a sense of community within the Residence Hall.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
Residential Life Functions:
1. Responsibility for a residential area housing over 250 students, with the assistance of a Graduate Assistant
2. Supervises and evaluate a staff of 5-8 resident assistants along with the Graduate Assistant.
3. Responsible for coordinating programs and events aimed at cultivating a culture of prayer and reflection among students. This will be done with the assistance of Campus Ministry and the Assumptionists.
4. Serve as a part of the leadership team along with the Director and Associate Director in planning and making programmatic decisions.
5. Meets weekly with the Director and Associate Director for the Residential Life leadership team meetings.
6. Serve as a member of the senior on call team with the Director and Associate Director.
7. Participates in policy development, advises on procedural and programmatic matters.
8. Meets for weekly supervision with the Associate Director of Residential Life and monthly with the Director of Residential Life.
9. Oversee the monthly Health Fire Safety operations for the department.
10. Develops and conducts with the Director and Associate Director of Residential Life, the selection and training of the Resident Director/Graduate Assistant staff.
11. Supervise and evaluate a professional staff of 7 Resident Directors and one Graduate Assistant.
12. Coordinates the search and selection of the professional staff along with the Associate Director of Residential Life.
13. Develops and conducts with the Associate Director and Resident Director staff, the selection and training of the residence hall staff.
14. Attends weekly Residential Life staff meetings on Monday afternoons, or as needed.
15. Monitors and processes maintenance request forms, reports damages, and suggests residence hall improvement possibilities.
16. Available during assigned on-call periods as well as major weekends and campus events.
17. Advises students with personal, spiritual and other issues.
18. Develop programming criteria for Resident Assistants and work with the Resident Directors to implement the plan.
19. Serves on Student Affairs committees and/or campus-wide committees.
20. Set reasonable limits on participation in outside activities. The Assistant Director of Residential Life may not accept additional employment or full-time status as a student, without permission of the Director of Residential Life.
21. Co-facilitates PSY 208, Practicum for Resident Assistants.
22. Central office hours are 8:30am-4:30pm.
23. Other Duties as assigned.
1. Acts as a liaison to Building and Grounds and other departments as necessary.
2. Coordinates Summer Residence Program.
3. Assists with the preparation of occupancy reports.
4. Supervises the opening and closing of the residential areas throughout the year.
5. Coordination of area statistics, reports, and education programs.
6. Assists with the Housing Lottery System.
7. Facilitate Housing Lottery Information sessions for the entire campus.
8. Responsible for room assignments of first-year and transfer students.
9. Coordinates the damage billing process for the entire campus.
10. Research and Coordinate Damage Prevention Program for all residential areas.
11. Oversee all aspects of vacation housing, including the administration of the card access system.
12. Other Duties as assigned.
* 12 month live in professional staff position.
* Board plan during College session.
* Standard Administrative Benefits including four weeks vacation, health program,
Assumption College course remission, Retirement options, etc.
* Must be willing to contribute actively to the mission of the College as well as show respect for the Catholic and Assumptionist identity of Assumption College.
* Candidates must demonstrate an understanding of Catholic teaching and articulate how those teachings help inform the moral and ethical development of students.
* A background in Residential Administration and Development is highly desired.
* At least five years full-time experience in a Higher Ed. Institution with a strong central office system is highly desirable.
* Experience with a variety of computer programs and systems.
* A Masters degree in Student Personnel or a related field is required.
* A background in Residential Administration and Development is highly desired.
* At least two years full-time experience in a Higher Ed. Institution with a strong central office system is highly desirable.
* Experience with computer programs and systems is a plus.
* The Assistant Director of Residential Life directs and supervises the work of departmental employees including, though not limited to supervising, training, scheduling and evaluating employees. The Assistant Director of Residential Life holds the authority to take appropriate disciplinary action within the college guidelines; though not having authority for the ultimate decision on a subordinate’s change of status.
* The Assistant Director of Residential Life uses discretion and judgment to compare options, advise and recommend a course(s) of action as to hiring, firing, advancement, promotion or other change of status.
* The Assistant Director of Residential Life usually finds that this position imposes certain limitations upon him/her. Because he/she must be available to students for informal counseling as well as emergency situations, the Residence Staff member finds that he/she must adopt an “open door” policy and expect frequent interruptions of his/her own activities. The nature of the job requires him/her to plan personal and social activities around his/her job commitments.
* Given that the Assistant Director of Residential Life is highly regarded as a role model, he/she is expected to maintain exemplary standards of personal conduct and discretion in his/her behavior.
* The Assistant Director of Residential Life is expected to schedule his/her time effectively in order to discharge his/her responsibilities. Some arbitrary time obligations are outlined below:
- Be prepared to remain on campus during vacations that occur during the contract period. Residence staff coverage must be provided at those times for students who cannot travel to their homes.
- Sets reasonable limits on participation in outside activities. The Assistant Director of Residential Life may not accept additional employment or full-time status as a student, without permission of the Associate Dean of Students/Director of Residential Life.
- Completes contract unless written notice given, with a minimum of two (2) weeks notice.
ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEE: This position is designated as an Essential Employee. Essential Employees are those who are expected to be on duty to operate the College and provide for the safety and well-being of our students when normal operations are suspended e.g. when classes are cancelled or delayed and when non-essential employees are released from work.
Staffing of essential support services may be at reduced levels, determined by the Administrator, dependent on the needs of our students. No compensatory time, additional wages or premium wages will be paid under these circumstances since the suspended hours are scheduled hours and part of each employee’s regular duties.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Sitting, standing, walking, and bending are required of this position. Use of a computer keyboard and computer screen for periods of time with close vision and the ability to adjust visual focus plus manual dexterity are required. Some lifting is required.
MENTAL DEMANDS: The mental demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Examples of mental demands include reading (documents), detailed work, confidentiality, language, math, reasoning, oral communications, written communications, customer contact, multiple concurrent tasks, constant interruptions, and performing calculations when necessary.
Assumption College, a Catholic liberal arts and professional studies college, was founded in 1904 by its sponsoring religious community, the Augustinians of the Assumption. Assumption College is part of the Colleges of Worcester Consortium and an Affirmative Action/EEOC employer encouraging candidates who would enrich the College’s diversity.
Apply on line only:www.assumption.edu/hr (374)
Incoming search terms:
- assumption collaga resident director
- dorm directress at assumption
- experience of supervision of staff and administration systems
- part time jobs worcester ma
- residence life office address in howard university
- resident assistant job openings at central michigan university
- training for resident life assistants