The new Archbishop of Portland was interviewed by Catholic World Report on the bishop’s role as teacher, and many other things, including liturgical music.
It is clear that the Council calls for the liturgy to be sung. In recent decades we’ve adopted the practice of singing songs at Mass. We take the Mass, and attach four hymns or songs to it. But this is not the Church’s vision. We need to sing the Mass. It is meant to be sung. The texts of the Mass are meant to be sung.
The Church provides us with chant, which is integral to liturgy, and should inspire the music of the Mass. We need to get away from singing songs at Mass and return to singing the Mass. And Gregorian chant is best suited to the Mass. The new director I hired [in the Diocese of Marquette] will introduce chant. It will be a huge shift for the people.
Incoming search terms:
- archbishop samples blog
- archbishop alexander samples
- archbishop sample music
- sample questions for interview of bishop
- proper address for a catholic bishop
- interview sample
- interview archbishop alexander sample
- criticism catholic bishop sample
- catholic world report bishop sample
- archbishop sample address