This is a syndicated post from Aggie Catholics. [Read the original article...]
- Civil disobedience. In refusing to obey laws that are unjust, we show the world that there are more important things in life than just getting along. When necessary we march, picket, and if it comes to it, we will even be thrown in jail or killed for our beliefs:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square” -Cardinal George of Chicago
- Counter-cultural rebels. Who else is can be found protesting outside an abortion clinic, praying in an adoration chapel, listening to a theology presentation in a bar, hanging a pic or a Saint’s card in a cubicle at work, confessing sins to a priest, and hanging out with nuns? Nobody.
- Monks brew beer. It might sound silly, but the point is that we don’t believe every good thing in the world which can be abused is bad. In fact a good thing can only be “abused” because it is good. Beer can be abused, like any good thing. But, monks brewing beer shows us just how good beer can be.
- We have a sense of humor. We can even laugh at ourselves. Have you seen this? If not, you should:
- Natural Family Planning (NFP). We talk about sex as a natural and organic part of life and we work with our bodies to space births in marriage. The prevailing mentality is one that is pro-contraception. But, organic sex is now cool.
- We fight for the little guy, both literally and figuratively. We do more than the poor than any other non-governmental organization. Feed the poor, clothe the naked, etc. We also hold the right to life as a sacred duty. Babies ‘R Us.
- We teach about what is really good, true, and beautiful. All three matter. Most modern education question if there really is goodness, truth, and beauty. We say “duh”.
- Not afraid of culture, but not just a part of it either. Yes, we have to live in the world. But, we are called to change it, not let it change us. Hard to do, but awesome when we do it.
- We take the Devil seriously. Otherwise exorcism, confession, and crucifixes wouldn’t make cool movies. The devil is real and is our real enemy. He bites and we help him bite the dust.
- Leaders that lead. No comment needed, because of men like:
Incoming search terms:
- why be catholic
- being catholic is awesome
- ten reasons to be catholic